Gaelic Supreme hook ?

eastfly66

Reaction score
I'm in the learning curve here, been studying and picking out spey patterns, mostly basic at this point. I find Partridge of Redditch Bartleet Supreme is/was a preferred hook. These are no longer made when Mustad took over I guess and now replaced with M2. I have found a couple local shops offer Gaelic Supreme that infer a relation to the old Partridge. They are a little pricey , I'm looking for an education for future tying.

Gaelic Supreme Fly Hooks - Stone River Outfitters

Thanks
Paul

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Belviordale, their US distributor, usually has a booth in Marlboro and I bought some hooks from them there. They seem to be high quality. According to the Belvoirdale website, Gaelic Supreme hooks were made by Sprite, a Partridge competitor that went out of business in 2012. In its heyday Redditch used to have a concentration of needle and fishhook manufacturers -- kind of like the Detroit of needles. I think Sprite was the last. Unless Belvoirdale has opened a new factory (their website says they might try), those hooks from Stone River are from the last remaining stock.

http://belvoirdale.com/Hooks.html

eastfly66

Reaction score
I saw Dettes in NY also had them listed, do these have that wrap around eye configuration that I see on the Bartleet Supreme ? What is the story with that anyway ? Are the Partridge that much better than the others ?

---------- Post added at 05:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 AM ----------

copied from Dettes:

"Gaelic Supreme hook are all handmade in Redditch, England. The people making these hooks are the same ones that made Partridge hooks before they moved their manufacturing out of the country. Not only are these hooks very well made, being a small outfit allows them a lot of freedom to meet the smaller demands that the big hook makers can't be bothered with."

Reaction score
I know the owner of GS hooks very well.
They are high quality hooks, i used them for streamers and also for spey flies.
He also has an extensive range of trout fly hooks too.

You'll not be disappointed.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I know the owner of GS hooks very well.
They are high quality hooks, i used them for streamers and also for spey flies.
He also has an extensive range of trout fly hooks too.

You'll not be disappointed.

Would you know if they are still in production ?

BTW - I have visited your web site and seen your ties here also , they are truly beautiful works of art. My goal is to get proficient and tie the classics. I sent the link to my buddy, we are both enjoying your work.

Thanks
Paul

Reaction score
Would you know if they are still in production ?

BTW - I have visited your web site and seen your ties here also , they are truly beautiful works of art. My goal is to get proficient and tie the classics. I sent the link to my buddy, we are both enjoying your work.

Thanks
Paul
Thanks - glad you like the flies - time and patience are required to tie these!

The hook maker used by GS died a year or so ago. I'm not aware that a new source has been found.
I"m interested in the streamer hooks (as are a good deal many others).
If I find out more, i'll update this thread.

Eunan

gt05254

Reaction score
Interestingly, when I was approached to tie all the salmon flies for Mike Valla's latest book, he asked me to tie them on Gaelic Supremes as a favor to the company owner. I tied a couple flies on them, took photos of them, and was really disappointed in the look of the hook up close and personal. So all the rest of the flies (60ish) were tied on Gamakatsu T10-6H's.

I've done several hook comparison charts that might be of some help:

The River's Course: Updated Size 10 salmon hook comparison chart

The River's Course: Size 10 Hook Comparison Chart Upgrade

The River's Course: Salmon Fly Hooks...or when is a 10 an 8?

Not intending in anyway to disparage the Gaelic hooks - I just didn't like the way they looked "under the microscope". I'm sure they are a good, strong hook.
Gary

eastfly66

Reaction score
Very informative Gary, I did not realize there is considerable size difference between mfg. The length difference between the Daiichi 241 and 2139 looks considerable and the Partridge Wison 8 is quite large ....not to mention the price per hook difference.

Thanks for providing the education , much appreciated !

Cheers
Paul

honyuk96

Reaction score
I have some GS hooks and have tied on many. iMO they are a poor quality hook. If you are interested in tying show flies I can assure you GS hooks have the poorest finish out there and mar very easily in a vise. I'd suggest some sort of japanned hook, again, if tying show flies. Maybe look into the blue heron hooks by Dave McNeese. Very sharp, nice finish ( not japanned ) and a lovely shape ideal for showy Spey flies. My .02

Reaction score
I have some GS hooks and have tied on many. iMO they are a poor quality hook. If you are interested in tying show flies I can assure you GS hooks have the poorest finish out there and mar very easily in a vise. I'd suggest some sort of japanned hook, again, if tying show flies. Maybe look into the blue heron hooks by Dave McNeese. Very sharp, nice finish ( not japanned ) and a lovely shape ideal for showy Spey flies. My .02
japanned hooks will also mar in a vise if clamped too strongly.