The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing

Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing From classic salmon flies to sunray shadows. Anything salmon love to take after a great cast!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2017, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Ard Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Stetts Send a message via Skype™ to Ard Stetts
Default Re: Northern European Style Tube;

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Interesting that there's no body wrapped on the tube - Most tubes I've seen have floss or mirage tinsel wrapped along the tube....

Interesting concept here.
I have an entire box filled with tube renditions of many well known patterns Eunan, neatly wrapped bodies and all. The problem is that they don't produce any better, possibly not as well as these flies having only long trailing wing / body designs. I don't use them for salmon because I've focused on just a few patterns that work for them but the trout & steelhead are another kind of target. They require that I keep searching for that irresistible look
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-26-2017, 01:23 AM

unknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant future

Good looking tube Ard, steelhead would totally nail that thing here. I'll have to tie up a replica or two.

Color- in long tubes or sculpins, green brown black with a tiny bit of angel hair has out produced really bright flies.

Interesting enough fresh fish like blue, the color of herring, late run salmon and wintered over steelhead seem not interested.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Ard Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond reputeArd Stetts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Stetts Send a message via Skype™ to Ard Stetts

Hi Steve,

I just received some HMH copper tubes the other day, I got them in .5 - 1 and 1.5 inch lengths. If these are available where you get supplies for tying they may be helpful. The weight of the tubing takes a sparse pattern like these down really well and they aren't too hard to hard to pitch. I will be trying some of what are called 'Skittle Tubes' this year soon as I find someone to order from. These are short brass tubes that will really sink.

I love the idea of easy casting with in-weighted flies and just a plain mono leader but am in the same boat as your are when it comes to water conditions. The fish are near the bottom and not likely to rise clear to the surface to grab a fly so.......... my patterns are evolving to meet the environmental needs. Still, when compared to one of my giant sculpins these are very light and easy to cast.

When you have a chance look up the Willie Gunn pattern on tube. This can be altered to any tube and material combo you desire and offer easy patterns to tie.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;