The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Spey Casting, Spey and Switch Fly Rods and Double Handed Fly Fishing > Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing

Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing From classic salmon flies to sunray shadows. Anything salmon love to take after a great cast!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Salmon Fly Tie-Along?

Goggle 'Off the hook fly shop' free shipping on orders over 50 dollars but I don't know what your stuff will be.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-04-2010, 05:14 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

While I was tying up those other Grub patterns, I took a look through Hale's book and one of the things that became obvious was that he was a little ahead of his time in terms of using things that you and I would consider essentials today; like a vise! Whereas his contemporary Salmon Fly tyers were tying all of their patterns by hand (holding the hook in their hand while they applied the materials), he was using a vise.

Now it wasn't exactly what we'd consider a fly tying vise today, but it seemed to do the job for him. He was a Captain in the military, so devices, gadgets and technology were probably attractive to him.

It made me think of all the threads that we have on this forum about what vise, when, how-much, etc. Here it is; photo'd from a page in his book:

Click the image to open in full size.

Now......don't all rush out and buy one.

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 10-04-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:52 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Goggle 'Off the hook fly shop' free shipping on orders over 50 dollars but I don't know what your stuff will be.

Ard
Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out. I hate it when I get backordered, or they cancel my orders, especially in a situation like this when time is of the essence. But I do hate to pay an unreasonable shipping fee, it chaps me badly. I had trouble trying to order from that Bears Lodge place. I think my firewall was preventing me, or the security controls for some reason were not letting me see everything. I just gave up. I hope to order this stuff in a little while. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:29 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly,

Sorry that you're having trouble sourcing your materials. I can usually get everything that I need in about a week; two at the absolute max. But....... unfortunately.......I am familiar with the back-order thing!

You can use the Partridge Bartleet CS10/1 hook in a #6; the same as for the Grub pattern, and you'll be just fine. The Haretron dubbing is just what I'm using, but any spikey dubbing in tan to lt. brown will work well for you. You won't need the leech yarn for the March Brown pattern. So, you may have what you need for this pattern already.

But, if you can't source something, then post again and I'll go hunting for you.

I'm glad that you liked the Grub patterns; they were a lot of fun to tie up; recipes are all in the Appendix at the back of Tom's book.

Allan
Old 10-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

I used fur pulled from a hares mask and dubbed for the body. I've had that mask since ........... well I've had it a long time. They will make a lot of flies for you, I did not like leech yarn because you can see the cord it is attached to. I ended up pulling the fibers off the cord and dubbing it.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:29 PM

Rejuvenating Feathers

For those of you who are going to try to tie up the March Brown pattern using hen pheasant wing feathers, here's a little trick to rejuvenate feathers that might come in handy for you. I picked up this simple method of refurbishing feathers in Michael Radenich's book Classic Salmon Fly Materials

First, here's the common problem with hen pheasant that's sourced from some of the better known materials suppliers. These came from Hareline.

When you take the paired feathers out of the bag, you get something that doesn't exactly excite you; they don't look workable for wings; at least they didn't to me. From the bag:

Not very exciting.

So, I went to Michael's book and here's what he had to say:

1. get a container that's larger than the feather that you want to rejuvenate.
2. add warm water
3. add a capful of Woolite; stir it to mix the Woolite evenly in the water
4. put in the feather(s) that you want to rejuvenate
5. stir them slightly holding them only by the stems, not the barbs.
6. let them sit for about 2 hours
7. dump out the Woolite solution, replace it with clear warm water to rinse the feathers
8. dump out the rinse water
9. put the feathers on paper towel and let them dry for 2-4 hours (or overnight)
10. pass the dried feathers over a steamer (I use a portable hand steamer, but a tea kettle will work just as well). Don't keep any section of the feather over the steam for too long or it will damage the feather.
11. after steaming the feathers should be slightly moist. Use you fingers to smooth them back into shape.
12. once in shape, put them back on paper towels to dry thoroughly.

Here's the result:

Now I feel like winging with hen pheasant!

Allan
Old 10-04-2010, 10:02 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I used fur pulled from a hares mask and dubbed for the body. I've had that mask since ........... well I've had it a long time. They will make a lot of flies for you, I did not like leech yarn because you can see the cord it is attached to. I ended up pulling the fibers off the cord and dubbing it.
I cannot do a hare's mask, they freak me out a little. My daughter would have a fit if I had one of them in here. She already hates going in the freezer...you never know what material will be in there. I had a fox tail in there once, and she screamed...lol. (she is 19 now)

The leech yarn was for something else. I decided to try Off The Hook. I got enough salmon hooks to hopefully last the duration of this tying class. I also got the Haretron there in March Brown. I have dubbings that would work probably, but no Haretron. It is cheap, and I don't mind getting that. A lot of this stuff though I am going to have to substitute a lot. It would cost me a fortune to get all these materials. If it is possible though, could the ingredient list be made like 2-3 flies ahead of time so I won't be in a bind waiting for materials to arrive? I get a bit stressed when I know I am behind, and now waiting for this package will certainly put me behind schedule. If it cannot be done, it is no big deal, I just like to feel relaxed about the material list, and not worried about a shipment. I live in Texas, and I hope the shipping from Off The Hook is speedy...lol. I am really loving the flies that everyone is posting. Also getting some Woolite might be a good idea. Thanks for all the help here.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Administrator

KelKay,

I have ordered from Frank at Off The Hook several times and he has been good to me. He carries a selection of hard to find tinsels, floss, and silk that can be almost impossible to find at the local fly shop. He also has many specialty hooks for all types of fly tying. As for being stressed over tying flies as a participant in this exercise don't be, there will be no demerits given based on when you complete a pattern. This is all about helping the members who are doing the tying to become better at tying flies. I commend Allan for his work in creating his step by step photo layouts on these flies. He is definitely into this.When I first started posting my flies here in the Share patterns forum threads my hope was that others would be inspired to get creative when tying flies. Part of the fun of all this is to create something that you find attractive and then tying it onto the end of a leader to see if a fish will agree with your assessment.

So relax and have fun learning, we are lucky to have a place like this to escape to and fortunate to have such great fellow members who will host something like this.

Ard

Old 10-05-2010, 07:51 AM

Ard, thank you for the comments. I feel better already about it. I have always thought salmon flies to be beautiful, but they do seem to be highly technical and difficult. It may, or may not be my thing. But having a class like this is so cool. Now it gives me the incentive to try them, and with Pocono at the helm, it has been a wonderful experience. Otherwise it may of been years before I did some of this. I did do a couple of spey flies a good while back. I didn't think they classified as a salmon fly, because they were in a different category. I am very happy to be in this group, and learning as I am. This has a high commitment level to it for Pocono, and I like seeing everyone's work, and comments. You have been a wealth of info too. Thank you.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:18 AM

wovenstonefly has a spectacular aura aboutwovenstonefly has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Ard, thank you for the comments. I feel better already about it. I have always thought salmon flies to be beautiful, but they do seem to be highly technical and difficult. It may, or may not be my thing. But having a class like this is so cool. Now it gives me the incentive to try them, and with Pocono at the helm, it has been a wonderful experience. Otherwise it may of been years before I did some of this. I did do a couple of spey flies a good while back. I didn't think they classified as a salmon fly, because they were in a different category. I am very happy to be in this group, and learning as I am. This has a high commitment level to it for Pocono, and I like seeing everyone's work, and comments. You have been a wealth of info too. Thank you.
I used to be intimidated by flies like this. I would look at them and say, Geez I wish I could tie that. Then one day I decided to give it a try. They take more time for sure but I'm not convinced there that much harder than a lot of dry flies. Now there my favorite thing to tie, I have noticed my trout box is becoming empty and I need to start a new steelhead box. Whenever I sit down to tie I almost have to force myself to tie other stuff now. Keep it up, you might be the same way.