The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 11:28 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Quick Tip for Tying Hackle

I 'discovered' this while tying some purple rubberleg stims last week. I'm sure someone else already discovered this, but I thought I'd share.

A problem I've always had with tying hackle near the hookeye was that some of the hackle would always end up across the hookeye, which could make threading on the water difficult. I tried a number of methods to keep wayward hackle from crossing the hookeye and would spend some time on each fly to trim away whatever obscured the eye, making for tedious, time-consuming work on each fly. Also, trying to hold everything back with my fingers often resulted in crushed hackle.

The last week while tying up some purple stims, I was watching a little tv while waiting for some cement to dry and my attention was caught by my drink. I was having a protein/fiber shake and using a straw, as the stuff tends to congeal on the bottom of the cup; the straw allows me to stir that up.

Anyway,a light bulb went off in my braincase. Taking my scissors, I snipped off the top two inches of the straw. Then I cut a slit down one side and slipped this 'hackle/leg holder' over the front of my fly, allowing my standing thread and hackle end to slip along the slit. It held all the hackle and the rubber legs back in one fell swoop. Trim away the hackle end and whipfinish, dab of cement and voila. Slip the straw off the back, set fly aside to dry.

Like I said, someone else probably already thought of this, so I don't want to take credit for invention, but I thought it was a great little trick and wanted to share in case there were others like myself who were having the same problems with tying hackle close to the eye.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 02-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Quick Tip for Tying Hackle

That trick will come in handy to many people Rich. There are buried threads where different methods for holding hackles have been disclosed by the posters but those threads & posts tend to get lost in the weekly swarm of postings. Your idea will bring the topic back to life.

Good tip,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-05-2011, 08:50 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Would be nice if we could see this trick visually.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:21 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Here ya go, Tracker,
Here's the cut piece of straw.

Click the image to open in full size.
Here's the piece of straw in place over a bugger. You can see how the straw holds the hackle away from the bead so you can finish the fly without fighting it.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:05 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a nice trick Ranger...Thank you.

Dave
Old 03-25-2011, 02:25 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Your welcome. And thanks to JoJer for putting up the pic.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 03-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
Your welcome. And thanks to JoJer for putting up the pic.
Here is a link to a FAQ that gives instructions for posting pictures. Let me know if you need any help.

Frank