The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slow Water Streamer Flies?

Thank you for the help, the people who inhabit this site are ladies and gentlemen all and I feel blessed for having found this site.

Give me a few weeks to come up with the materials needed for the above recommendations and I will post some pics of the results and give you my personal opinion of how well each worked...(kidding)

jbbfly: I promise to work on my fly fishing terminology it's a southern thang

Dave
Old 02-08-2011, 12:18 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

i use wooly bugger leeches. using a rabbit strip tail and some flash in the body. then wrapped with hackle. olive and or black
Old 02-14-2011, 01:24 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Since you're targeting browns in pressured water, I'd also suggest you try to be on the water at first light/last light. The biggest fish get that way by being carefull, especially true of browns.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:28 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
Since you're targeting browns in pressured water, I'd also suggest you try to be on the water at first light/last light. The biggest fish get that way by being carefull, especially true of browns.
This is solid advice, I could not make a better recommendation regardless of what streamer you use.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-14-2011, 06:19 AM

ghostdncr has a spectacular aura aboutghostdncr has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
I suggest capturing a minnow, or fry, to copy at home.
Put it in a vial next to the vise and dream about it a bit.
Hold it up to light to see profile/shape. Then look at color/reflectivity.
Excellent advice from Jim. Just remember when you're tying that the dry example sitting in your vice will look completely different when wet. Ard's "Answer" offers one of the best examples of this I've ever seen. If he hasn't forwarded that pattern to you, it's worth begging for.

the764
Old 02-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

My only take on this is, if no one ever fishes this slow area you are thinking about, there could be a reason.
Fish generally hang where the food is easy access. That is why I like fishing seams myself, but not seeing what you are, it could be frog water.

Other than that, everyone else has it covered with TIME slot being very important for Browns.

I would also offer, Nymph size wet flies (soft hackles) an Nymphs like Haresears, and Copper Johns.....
Old 02-16-2011, 08:39 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Ard's "Answer"...hmmm

Went to the big city of Little Rock and picked up a bunch of new fly tying materials, but my work phone has been ringing 24/7 so haven't had the chance to start tying some of the savory patterns suggested.

Did tie some wooly buggers though and couldn't figure out why the marabou didn't look right and it sure seemed like a waste of feathers after having clipped the ends off. (not funny guys...lol) When I figured out that you tear the feathers off the side.

Found two things this last weekend a brookie hole (strange but nobody fishes this spot either) and a hole in my waders so it's going to be a little while before I can wade past the weeds to fish that slow hole.

Dave