The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 10:20 AM

Hockeyref is on a distinguished road
Default Need Western PA recommendations

Ok, New guy here and I'm looking to put together a basic set of flies to start out. Looking to be chasing trout, bass, and panfish in the southwest PA area. Next year I'll expand my range a little and hopefully find a mentor or two. Maybe get a bit more north to chase steelhead, etc.

So give some suggestions on the name and size of flies.... Stuff is on sale now and I want to build a kit to get my feet wet.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:27 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need Western PA recommendations

you cant go wrong with nymphs, i would say get a basic selection, color, and sizes of Pheasant tail nymphs, Hares ears nymphs, prince nymphs, copper johns, sulpher nymphs.

Terrestrials are good for summer trout fishing and bass. Ants, beetles, and hoppers are all good.

for dry flies i would stick with a basic selection. Mainly Caddis are big in PA streams.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:28 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road

also what streams you will be fishing will help. tell us some of the streams and we can give a more defined selection of flies.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:34 PM

Other than fishing some of the lakes (Twin Lakes, Keystone, Donegal, Mamoth, etc. probably loyalhanna creek, Little Mahoning, and the Yough come to mind first...
Old 06-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Steve-

A great, simple question, that’s sure to spark a debate. Everybody has their favorites, and some flies might be more effective in different conditions (different water types, time of year, different hatches, and on specific rivers/lakes,)

So I’d do 2 things.

1. Pick up a selection of some basics that have been proven over the years for trout fishing- pretty much everywhere., including PA.

2. Top off with a visit to a local fly shop and get a few specific flies they recommend for the water you plan to fish that day (and hopefully some tips). For these, get flies from the shop that are tied locally (as opposed to Thailand or Kenya) for the local favorites since there are often local twists that might be more effective.

There are many, many choices for the basics. (There’s a deal from Orvis on 20 flies for 9.95 that would be a good selection to start.) But here’s a dozen different patterns/sizes that imitate different things, cover different layers of the water column, and cover different water types. Some tend to be better in slow water, some in fast, and some work well in both. These are all classics and have caught trout all over the world, including PA, but there are many other choices that could be substituted just as easily. They’ll also give you a chance to practice different presentaions by fishing dries, wets, nymphs and streamers.

Some dry flies (add some paste type fly floatant like DAB for around 3 bucks)
Adams Parachute size 16 – a good all around mayfly imitation,
Tan Elk Hair Caddis size 14 a good all around caddis imitation on slow and fast water. As Eaglesfan said, caddis are big on some of the faster streams and rivers like the Yough.
Ausable Wulff (or Royal Wulff) size 14- this is a good fly for fast water- easy to see and floats well for places like the Yough. Panfish aren’t very picky so this would be a good fly for them too, on ponds, lakes, and streams.
Griffiths Gnat- size 20 This will pass for small ant or beetle, and will give you something to throw when fish are taking really small stuff off the surface, but the fishing is usually pretty tough when that happens.

Some streamers
Bead head Woolly Buggers size 8 in Black and size 12 in Olive. These are especially good on lakes and deeper sections of streams and rivers. Olive version imitates a dragonfly larvae found in lakes. The two different sizes should give you a shot at both bass (8) and panfish(10) as well as trout (both sizes),
Muddler Minnow size 10 If you get an unweighted one you can fish it on top as a grasshopper, and deep with a split shot in front as a sculpin minnow.

Some wet flies (swinging these in current is a good way to search for fish)
Partridge and Orange Softhackle size 16 (a generic imitation of emerging mayflies and caddis, drowned adults and caddis that dive to the bottom to lay eggs for still or moving water, and panfish eat them too.
Bright Green Emergent Sparkle Pupa size 14 (often very effective on caddis rivers just below riffles)

Some nymphs (add an assortment of “micro” split shot to get down a bit if you need to, and an indicator of some sort to detect strikes. A small “o-ring” type with poly yarn might be the easiest to start off with)
Bead Head Pheasant tail size 16 imitates a lot of small mayfly nymphs, good for any type of water
Bead Head Prince size 12 especially good in rivers with lots of caddis and small stoneflies, and to imitate big mayfly nymphs like Isonychia (Mahogany Dun).
Bead Head Gold Ribbed Hares Ear size 14 another any water anytime pattern, imitates a lot of the larger fatter mayfly nymphs.

When you pop into fly shops, ask for recommended patterns and sizes, and the most effective ways and times of day to fish them. One of the things you might want to ask about is the “white fly” hatch. This can be a big deal hatch in PA and many other areas. It usually happens late in the day around dusk into dark on still or slow water with muddy bottoms starting in late July and through August. Trout, smallmouth and every other fish in the same zip code often go nuts and it would be a good one to explore in advance to see if shops will recommend certain bodies of water where they’ve occurred in the past and try and keep tabs on it so you can get out there when it starts to happen.

Good luck!

mark
Old 06-28-2009, 11:05 AM

Thanks Mark,
That's what I was looking for... I have planned to stop in at Ligioneer Outfitters in the near future... Being so new to Fly fishing, I really needed some one to say, "you should get this, and this, and this for a basic all around kit. Then get this and this and this for these conditions.... "

Right now I am in the process of putting together the basic "fly kit" from step 1 .... Probably order some from Orvis while the sale is going on.... Step 2 will happen as I get out more, and hook up with the local guys that have offer help.

Been talking to anyone and everyone that might give me some info... a guy told me yesterday to use an Adams parachute and an olive beaded wooly bugger... didn't say why, just that the fish seemed to really want to hit them... His family sat down at the picnic table next to us at the Keystone state park yesterday. He noticed my spinning rod and tackle box sitting there we just started chatting about fishing .... I mentioned that I was getting into fly fishing and it went from there... I wished I had a pad and pen to take notes!
Old 06-28-2009, 09:26 PM

Ok... ordered the Orvis 20 for $9.95 deal today... Next is to get some local advise and buy a few from the local shops... Probably want to get a basic terestial kit too???