The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 09:21 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Dries with wings

I am having trouble finding a fly that I've had in my flybox and used it Saturday on some very picky fish and it worked great. I think it was a caddis dry fly with swept back wings but the wings were made of something that look like duck wings, not any kind of hair. They looked like real wings. I cannot locate any on the web nor do I remember where I got them from. Any one see anything like that?
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 07-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Dries with wings

Might have been a Hemingway Caddis,
Click the image to open in full size.

Schroeder's Parachute Caddis,

or possibly the Henryville Special.

These are all commercially available, but a bit hard to find as they're somewhat out of fashion.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:27 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

When I need a very realistic caddis topwater pattern, I ver much like to use a tape wing pattern -

http://www.eflytyer.com/patterns/tape_wing_caddis.html

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 07-13-2009, 06:08 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Any of the ones that Cliff posted will work.. I just like this one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caddis.jpg (5.3 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-14-2009, 09:26 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

If the others are hard to get, these that you both posted look like they will work. The ones I had had shaped wings and looked just like swept back wings. The fish really hammered them when nothing else worked. One rainbow jumped out of the water and caught the fly in her throat on the way up like a polaris missle coming from a submarine! It was really cool!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 07-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
. One rainbow jumped out of the water and caught the fly in her throat on the way up like a polaris missle coming from a submarine! It was really cool!
That's why I'll take a caddis hatch over mayflies almost any ol' time.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:06 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

Where im from theyre called slow water caddis, and they come in black or brown.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:42 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Back when I lived in a place I needed caddis flies, I used to tie a very realistic wing version with the liner from a padded manila envelope. I have not seen these envelopes in years. But when I made them with them it was the best wings ever. It kind of had the feel of Tyvec.