The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fly sale for you who don't tie

I tie all my own flies, so it does not help me, but for those of you who don't, Albright is in the midst of the closeout sale. Every single fly they have for 99 cents a piece. Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up on a cheap deal.
:: Albright Fly Rods Fly Reels Waders Flies ::
Old 02-22-2011, 07:17 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly sale for you who don't tie

Dan

I am wanting to make a black carpenter ant with a glossy finish that floats well enough to double as a indicator. Been cruising the web but can't seem to find any instruction on such a creature. And I might be going at this the wrong way, perhaps what I need is just some good fly tying stores? Any advice?

Dave
Old 02-23-2011, 05:43 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Dan

I am wanting to make a black carpenter ant with a glossy finish that floats well enough to double as a indicator. Been cruising the web but can't seem to find any instruction on such a creature. And I might be going at this the wrong way, perhaps what I need is just some good fly tying stores? Any advice?

Dave
Dave, I think Harry Murray has a pattern like you're talking about; do a google for it. J. Stockard is one online shop, FeatherCraft. Google fly tying supplies you'll get a ton of leads...

Dan
Old 02-23-2011, 07:20 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Feathercraft....

Good grief, yes I have heard them mentioned here. Finding so much to learn on this site that I am having brain meltdowns...

Thanks for the heads up on Harry Murray, I may be going down the wrong path but I like the idea of making indicators that are close matches to terrestrials.

Dave
Old 02-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dan

Dave
Actually I do! There was a guy experimented with using Gorilla glue. To make the ant, take a piece of plastic, get a tooth pick. Put a drop of gorilla glue on the plastic and add a tiny bit of water. Mix it together. The glue will swell. Use the tooth pick to put a drop on the shank of the hook and rotate it till it sets for one end of the body. It will turn out really round. Repeat this for the other end of the body. Use permanent markers to color the body. Tie and wrap a small hackle between the body parts for legs. Done! Gorilla glue floats really well. It does not soak up water so it keeps floating. Gorilla glue is a very interesting fly tying tool.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:34 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Outstanding DD! Something really new under the sun. Can you post the Utube link to that?

fae
Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 PM

Diver Dan

WOW...That is exactly what I needed to get the realism I was looking for.

Please give me your address and this summer I will have my wife come over and mow your yard.

Dave
Old 02-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Diver Dan

WOW...That is exactly what I needed to get the realism I was looking for.

Please give me your address and this summer I will have my wife come over and mow your yard.

Dave
Ok, but I have to shovel up the dog poop first.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:44 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Dave, I think Harry Murray has a pattern like you're talking about;
The McMurry ant was developed by Ed Sutryn of McMurry PA and is made from balsa wood strung on mono

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:20 PM

Got my gorilla glue today and tomorrow afternoon it's gonna be sticky fingers and a vise with glue all over it.

Will send pics after I have them down pat.

Dave