The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Buying Flies without breaking your wallet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Another source for low cost flies tied right here in the USA is Bighornflies, and the quality is outstanding:
Bighorn Flies

Larry
I'll second that Larry. Eric's quality is top notch

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-18-2011, 08:48 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Glitter Bears

Tied on some planet other than earth, but available nice and cheap on Ebay:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Tied in the United States and not cheap:

Its your money, so its of course your choice.
Gary
Old 03-18-2011, 01:07 PM

possumsniper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
Big Y Fly.
Another vote for Big Y Fly. Low prices, excellent service and fast shipping.

A couple of others I use are Millers Place. A store on Ebay. Also use Little River Outfitters. They have a great little shop in the Smokey Mountains. They offer free shipping on all their orders, no matter how many flies you order. One fly everyone should try is the Thunderhead that Little River sells.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:16 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

LOL, that abortion they're calling a Glitter Bear in the top pic of my two pics is from Miller's on eBay. Good luck with that!
Not to worry, done with this thread,

Gary
Old 03-30-2011, 06:47 AM

bmik is on a distinguished road

I just discovered Big Y Fly company. I highly recommend Hill's Discount Flies. Also have bought from Blue Fly Cafe and Percy's Flies. I still tie some flies but doing so has little to do with money and more to do with just being a hobby that relaxes me(and the satisfaction gained from catching a fish on a self tied fly). But I don't have the time to put into it and in reality it is expensive. The math or financials make a good case to buy from the discount fly sites when you consider you can buy 3 flies from any one of the sites mentioned above to one from Orvis or The Flyshop. And the flies are not bad. And in the end, I always say the fish don't know whether I'm holding an $800 rod or a $69 rod...they will both catch fish. For the most part the same goes with the flies......and I can say that the flies I've been buying work.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:15 PM

flybillinma is on a distinguished road

Stick to "The 24 Greatest Flies" and you won't break the bank! Advice on the Fly from a master angler - See: Outdoor Notes: Advice on the fly from master angler Bob Sousa | projo.com | The Providence Journal Outdoors |
Old 04-05-2011, 08:21 PM

Yup, cheap flies are sure great. As Jerry Doak says on his website, something to the effect that your fly is the only piece of your tackle the fish will ever see, why skimp....

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]Oh, this is just so much fun. Here's some more GREAT cheap flies available for less than a buck apiece:

How/why could you ever tie these on?? Oh, and they only cost about 50 cents on fleabay.

Last edited by gt05254; 04-06-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:41 PM

matt_mo is on a distinguished road

Just ordered about 20 flies from the fly stop, headed out to Lake Tahoe in a few weeks so I wanted some new flies.

It's not a fishing trip but a vacation for the wife and I, but I plan on doing a bit of fishing.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:52 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Gary's ranting has some validity to it...on the other hand; if it is tied on a mustad hook, and gooped up with glue then it will catch fish and hold together. Many of my ties are on par with his "kenyan" pics and they work fine. Just don't skimp on the hooks, unfortunately you have no way to know what hook is on the fly's you buy with asking beforehand everytime.

Also to consider, is your local fly shop may be catering to you local fish with their patterns. Talking to the guides at the Ausable last week, I was able to buy the flies that the senior guide was throwing that week...because he also tied them for the store. Also lets not forget...fly fishing is expensive, gas is expensive, etc...youve got a minimum of $250 worth of gear and you just spent $25 to drive to the river, why skimp on the one piece of gear that fish sees. When you buy flies at the local fly shop you get value added ("free" information). $12 worth of flies and they tell you where to throw them.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:03 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I tie my own so I rarely buy. The only time I buy is from a local shop if there is a specific hatch in that area. On a serious note though, even a bad fly can be a good imitation. The fish don't see quality, they just need to be fooled. When I first started tieing flies I tied what I thought were some ugly flies but the fish disagreed because they caught fish.