The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 10:38 PM

Waterborne has a spectacular aura aboutWaterborne has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Buying Flies without breaking your wallet?

Glad to hear good things about streamflies. I was planning on placing an order for about 50 flies.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:34 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

not being much of a tier anymore, ive found that Fly Fishing Flies, Dry Flies, Nymphs, Streamers - Blue Fly Cafe is a a good choice for good quality flies.

casey

ARFE
Old 07-11-2011, 02:31 AM
cariboo87

I actually tie and sell flys. I have a VERY good reputation for my quality. I hate how places sell these sweatshop made flys for ridiculous prices to new and unsuspecting flyfishers. If you have facebook go to my page (link below) and "like" it, I just opened it up and am adding more flys daily. I can tie anything, not just whats pictured. I am new to this site but hope to meet and chat with everyone and have a great time. please check out my site. I am located in Alberta!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mason-...88825584505989
Old 07-11-2011, 03:46 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I tie my own so I rarely buy. The only time I buy is from a local shop if there is a specific hatch in that area. On a serious note though, even a bad fly can be a good imitation. The fish don't see quality, they just need to be fooled. When I first started tieing flies I tied what I thought were some ugly flies but the fish disagreed because they caught fish.
After following this thread for a while I decided to give streamflies.com a shot. I've been tieing flies for some time now and I can honestly tell you that no matter where these flies were tied, they were tied well. I don't think I'll stop tieing but it's a great place for me to buy the flies I like to fish but hate to tie (especially wooven Stone flies). Thanks for the tip guys.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 AM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the heads-up on StreamFlies. I'd never heard of them, they had some flies I'd been unable to find- #22 & #24 Bead Head Hare's Ear. The service was quick, the flies are very well tied, and the price was amazing.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:54 PM

vapor10 is on a distinguished road

Dropped $40 at Big Y a few nights ago. Another $20 just now at Streamflies.com

Maybe I should learn how to tie
Old 09-14-2011, 09:15 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

There are heaps of sellers which I see advertised from time to time as well as eBay where you can buy flies,the only reason I would buy them is if I didn't have,couldn't access the materials or if I really needed them in a hurry.
Brian.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:16 PM

vapor10 is on a distinguished road

I already have well over a 100 flies. Many I have not used yet. I have at least another 100 coming.

I need to find a good cheap "master" box to store them in. Then I can pop what I want to use for the day into my Cabelas pocket size box.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:23 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Master Box? MASTER BOX????

Why would you ever want a master box???
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 09-15-2011, 05:41 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Master Box? MASTER BOX????

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Why would you ever want a master box???
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Gary, I can't tell if your reply was meant to encourage or scare Vapor half to death.

Dave