The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 AM

kory10 is on a distinguished road
Default Buying Flies without breaking your wallet?

So our local flyshops flies are just ridiculously high for what your getting. Where can I go online to have a good selection of quality flies for a reasonable price???

Best,
Kory
Old 02-25-2011, 09:53 AM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Buying Flies without breaking your wallet?

Your timing couldn't be better. Have you checked Diver Dan's thread re, buying flies.
Fly sale for you who don't tie
Link is in Dan's opening post.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:50 AM

kpawlak10 is on a distinguished road

Also check out Fly Fishing Flies, The Fly Stop, Discount Fly Fishing, Trout & Steelhead Flies, Cheap Flies, Quality Fishing Equipmentmost of their flies are $.50 to .60 and they are all great quality!
Old 02-25-2011, 12:14 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Big Y Fly.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:24 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpawlak10 View Post
Also check out Fly Fishing Flies, The Fly Stop, Discount Fly Fishing, Trout & Steelhead Flies, Cheap Flies, Quality Fishing Equipmentmost of their flies are $.50 to .60 and they are all great quality!

I've bought from The Fly Stop before, they are really clean ties and the customer service is top notch!! Shipping was super fast!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-27-2011, 05:42 AM

adams14 is on a distinguished road

Tonto Creek Flies and the Fly Stop are both good sources. Tonto Creek has weekly specials and prompt service. Even ebay is OK if you are patient and can be there for the auction endings. In the last couple weeks I've picked up about 200 flies there at very reasonable rates. But,it's still hard to beat the sites mentioned here and in the above posts. Big Y's dries are quite nice and priced right by the dozen. It's been my experiance that any local shop is going to be overpriced. If you need a few to top off a pattern or just a local favorite they are fine. You need to order larger quantities though.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:11 PM

h dot verseman is on a distinguished road

I can also testify to the fly stop on the quality of their flies, their customer service, as well as the value.

Haven't gone elsewhere to fill the box pre season, and to reload at the end.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:34 PM

flbowman1 is on a distinguished road

Try Riverbum flies as well. I've been buying their saltwater flies and have been very pleased and their customer service is great as well.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:27 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Of course, should you decide to buy flies tied by Americans, as opposed to Chinese or Kenyans, you will likely pay more. A dozen hooks often cost more me more than what a wholesaler can buy a dozen Kenyan flies for. And they buy necks buy the dozens of gross, not maybe the 6 at a time I can buy.

Well, at least you guys are, sometimes, anyway, supporting your local fly shop. But obviously not your local tyer!

I do have to laugh when I look at eBay flies, particularly atlantic salmon flies. "Theirs" cost about 50 cents. Mine cost 4 dollars. There's a difference in more than price, I assure you.

Sorry to rain on the cheap fly parade, but with all the "buy American" hype going on these days, fly tyers seem to get left out in that rain.
Gary
Old 03-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Another source for low cost flies tied right here in the USA is Bighornflies, and the quality is outstanding:
Bighorn Flies

Larry

Larry