The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 11:43 AM

butchhe is on a distinguished road
Default Name this fly

A buddy of mine was fishing with these over the weekend for Sockeye Salmon and had a fish on every other cast. I have searched the internet and have no clue what type of fly this is. He picked it up at a local grocery store on a whim and it panned out well for him. I'd just like to know the name of it before I start to make them (they look pretty easy to make for a beginner like me). Thanks.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...0/IMAG0022.jpg

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...0/IMAG0024.jpg
Old 08-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Name this fly

butchhe,

I've never seen that tie but it looks very simple to replicate. I would call it the red fly. Whether or not the two wisps of black material over the top of the body are important or not would be a matter of personal preference. If that was the original tie then I would add them. I would probably add some zinc eyes for weight in swifter currents also. Make some in the stock form and some weighted ones for the deep stuff. I tie many flies that have no name but still catch salmon. If one proves to be a consistent producer I'll give it a name, usually it will be descriptive rather than artful.

I have one question. Did you see each fish that he caught and were they all hooked in the inside of the jaw? I have had some pretty impressive days with sockeye but many were foul hooked by accident. The fly I used on such days had no bearing on how many fish I hooked but to an observer at fifty feet the action would have looked incredible. When fishing any great distance from the salt I find the sockeye usually aren't as aggressive as other species but do tend to group closely making a foul hook more likely. I don't mean to infer that anyone deliberately hooked fish but it happens.

Ard

Last edited by Hardyreels; 08-18-2009 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Add content
Old 08-18-2009, 07:17 PM

We were fishing on the Russian River that day. I would have to say about 70% were jaw hooked. I think it is almost impossible not to fowl hook when they get into tight schools. I know I have done it inadvertently with pinks. I try to pull the line out of the water nice and slow, within a foot of my leader breaking the top of the water and here comes some pinks pushing up stream...foul hooked!

BTW, he picked up the fly at Fred Myers for $0.89 each, no name though.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Where do you live?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-18-2009, 11:20 PM

Anchorage. I guess I should update that.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

quote:I would call it the red fly
That's an original name...I would have never tought about it Ard!
It looks like Batistou's red nymph...he caught bows with it...but chubs swim away at full speed when they see itshould be efficient on Bull trout too