The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 05:18 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Painting Hard Foam Poppers

Some one said I have to be careful painting a hard foam poper- not all paint will stick, so.....
What paint do you use?
Old 08-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Painting Hard Foam Poppers

I think the main cause for care with that type of poppers is not to use spray paint or some others that will melt them.

I use fingernail polish. Hard glossy finish, dries pretty quick, and comes with a brush. You might be surprised just how many different colors are out there. I've even been using it on crease flies and such made with sheet foam and it holds up surprisingly well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:53 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't normally bother to paint my foam or cork poppers at all, but when I do they get a layer of epoxy first.
Then whatever paint......Tetores model paint, fabric paint from the craft store, and fingernail polish
The final protective coat would be epoxy also
Old 08-31-2009, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Red Owl,

Go to your local hobby shop that sells model airplanes. They will have a wide selection of Testors paints. I have used their Acrylic but they also have Enamel paints. They come in 1/4oz bottles in just about any color you might want. You need to decide if you want Acrylic or Enamel as they take different thinners.

If I was doing it today I might experiment with the Enamel Paints.

Testors Enamel Paints Selections.

Frank
Old 08-31-2009, 12:55 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

regular enamel testers plastic model paint has worked fine for me for years. I don't recall it ever chipping off or such. like any plastic to be painted, it needs to be cleaned of all oils first. I use rubbing alchohal for that task but there are other solutions to remove oil.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:08 PM

Well then its model car/airplane paint for the poppers. Thanks- saved me having to experiment with a variety of paints.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:47 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Red, Like Cliff said fingernail polish...Go to the dollar store and check out all the various colors; thank God for Goth girls...lol I put a coat of clear Sally Hansen hard as nails for the final coat.

Dan
Old 09-02-2009, 10:12 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

ive found that fingernail polish does not work that good. it chips awa easy pretty easily, and it doesnt seem to lose that odor

i like to paint my poppers with acrylic paint, and then put a thin coat of epoxy over them. it makes them tough, and the float a bit lower in the water. right below halfway up the body.

i make my poppers out of balsa and cork though, it might be different on foam.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:47 PM

rmooney- is that a wire or mono weed guard? How did you attach it?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:27 AM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
rmooney- is that a wire or mono weed guard? How did you attach it?
its a gamakatsu hook with a wire weedquard already attached. the type of guard on that hook is the only guard that stops weeds, but not fish- that ive found anyway. i found them at dick's sporting goods.