Flies from Across the Pond

Pocono

Reaction score
Below are some pics, recipies and fishing tips for a series of flies tied by jbbfly (Jean-Paul). He fishes a lot of trout, chubs and dace on his home waters in France. Looks like they'd fish very well here in the US and I plan to give them a workout tomorrow at one of my local streams if there's anything coming off the water.

jpb "Hi-Vi"

Hook: Fulling mill 31810 #14 bl
Thread: Beige/brown, 6/0
Tail: Large light gray dun hackle tip
Hackle: Rusty dun or variant (dun light beown)
Wing: Orange fibers (same as those used to make eggs)

Fishing hints: I made this fly to fish fast and pocket waters. It can be seen in nearly all conditions in the sun and in the shade. Usually floats well, but fish may also take it as a wet in swirling water.

jpb "Bi-color"

Hook: Fullling mill 31810 #14 bl
Thread: Olive 6/0
Tail: Dun rooster fibers
Wings: Vitafloss, beige
Hackles: Two; one dun / one coachman brown

Fishing hints: An all-around fly for fast waters. I use it when there's no other bug life on the water (it may look a little like a small March Brown).

Both this fly and the first one are tied after the "Paysanne de Fages" (the fishmeister). This means that I use a little piece of ballpoint pen tube. I also put a drop of superglue on the body to make it more solid and brighter. These two flies can be tied as #'s 14, 16 and 18.

jpb "Ugly Green"

Hook: #14/16 bl
Thread: Black, 6/0
Body: Olive green dubbing
Thorax: Hare flash, black
Tail/Legs/wings/ribbing: Krystal flash, pearl

Fishing hints: I created this fly to fish still waters. I have caught big trout with it. It can be used an an emerger, but also as a buzzer or a wet; slowly "knitting" the line both in moving and still waters.

jpb "Chub Special"

Hook: #12/14
Beads: One orange, green or caramel plastic / one copper, 2.8mm
Body: Olive green, orange, yellow or black dubbing
Thorax: Hare flash, black
Tail. legs: Olive, orange, yellow or black goose biots
Ribbing: Copper wire, thin

Fishing hints: I make this nymph up in different colors to fish for big Chubs on sight. The black and olive are the ones that I use more often, but the yellow and orange ones are sometimes very good; not only in troubled waters. Although I call it a "Chub special", I've also caught Browns and Rainbows with this pattern.

If you have any questions or comments on these patterns, please post them to this thread or PM "Jbbfly".

Thanks,

Pocono

Pocono

Reaction score
No problem J-P, glad to do it.

Pics are actually courtesy of tob1, who has taught me (and is still teaching me) how to take pics of flies. It's been a slow process, but they're getting better.

By the way, I'm headed to the Paradise Ceek this AM to try out your dries and wets. I'll post pics of what I catch later today (I hope that I have something to post - but if I don't, it won't be the fault of your flies. :)). Your "Ugly Green" nymph hits the water first! ;)

Pocono

Reaction score
Hi Frank,

I think that's a good idea. But, it would have to be tob1; he's truely light years ahead of me in that department. And, as I've found out from him, it's also camera-specific.

Pocono

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Pocono: Great work on the photos. I used the Ugly Green last week and it did pretty well at Delaney Lakes. Today I used another one of JP's nymphs on the Yampa and it did very well there also.

Larry

Pocono

Reaction score
I got a nice brown yesterday; also on J-P's "Ugly Green" (then I proceeded to loose the fly by breaking off the next fish), so I guess it's working internationally. He ought to send one or two off to Neversink, so that we could get a report from Japan. :)

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got a nice brown yesterday; also on J-P's "Ugly Green" (then I proceeded to loose the fly by breaking off the next fish), so I guess it's working internationally. He ought to send one or two off to Neversink, so that we could get a report from Japan. :)
Why not....the problem with the "ugly green" is that it SOMETIMESsinks:D
Next time I'll send you a dozen,same to Larry...US trout seem very eager to steal my flies;)

tob1

Reaction score
Hi Pocono,

How about you or Tob1 writing an article on how to photograph flies? We would all appreciate it.

Frank
Here is my setup for photo ;)
I use an old Nikon coolpix model 995 for my macros. The camera have only 3 MPix but that is plenty enough for web publishing. The old Coolpix cameras from Nikon have special god optics for macro photo, so if you se one used for a god price , I recommend you to buy it. Models to look for is Coolpix 990 -995 -4500. (I have all models :rolleyes: ).
So for the setup with a compact camera - my advice is that you never use the flash on the camera. Use a tripod or place the camera on something steady. If the light is to hard - you can soften it with a white difusor or move the lamps a bit longer from the fly. You can reflect the light with a white paper or som aluminium foil ( if you want som more light from under the fly). It is not recommended to use white or black background - two reasons for that 1. the camera have problem to focus (autofocus) 2. the colors on the fly will be washed out. Recommended backgrounds is blue or green. Use a plain color background.
Then it is to shoot away and take a lot of pictures. You will master it very quick.

Here is my setup for today. The background I use is a plain color waxpaper.

Here is a Lafountaine Micro diving caddis in size 18 that was on the vice today.

Trygve;)