The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 09:34 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about
Default Barr's Slump Buster

Anyone know where I can find some Barr's slump busters in sizes 2, 4, and 8? Umpqua shows them in their gallery, but none of their dealers on their Buy page carry them.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:14 AM

Bamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Barr's Slump Buster

Dixiejack:
There is a place in AR that sells them, http://mtnriverflyshopstore.com/streamers.html
There is a variation that I like at one of the local NC shops http://www.davidsonflyfishing.com/in...emart&Itemid=1
I've tied some and they have done well for me.
GJ
Old 11-17-2009, 08:49 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Bamboo,

Both look good. You never know what you are going to find until you start searching.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:00 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

On the Roaring fork, in the Glenwood to Basalt Colorado area....the Slump Buster has been a saving grace some days.....explosive hits.....and that is coming from wading...
Old 02-17-2010, 09:19 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I made some up with brass cone heads, but could not find them in tungsten. They look like they will work, I haven't tried them out just yet.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:50 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Slump buster is a great pattern. Also check out some of Kelly Galloup's patterns. Sex Dungeon, Butt Monkey, Stacked Blonde, and Zoo Cougar. Very nice stuff
Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 AM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
Slump buster is a great pattern. Also check out some of Kelly Galloup's patterns. Sex Dungeon, Butt Monkey, Stacked Blonde, and Zoo Cougar. Very nice stuff
I have not done any spinning of deer hair just yet. They look like great patterns. Funny names, but good flies.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
I have not done any spinning of deer hair just yet. They look like great patterns. Funny names, but good flies.
Hi Kelkay,

I just added a Video about how to spin deer hair. You may find it useful. His method of laying the deer hair at a 45 degree angle makes it much easier to tie. If you let the thread distribute the hair around the hook you will get a nice tie.

Frank
Old 02-17-2010, 03:18 PM

Good deal Frank. Thanks for that. I for some reason feel intimidated by deer hair spinning...but I will have to tackle it before too long.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dixiejack: If you are into tying here are the step-by-step instructions from Charlie Craven's web site:
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

Larry