The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2006, 07:18 PM

gr8johnson is on a distinguished road
Question Did I get the wrong size flies???

I purchased some flies from Blue Fly Cafe,

Adams #18
Black gnat #18
Blue wing olive Thorax #16
Daves hopper # 10
Hares ear gold rib bead head #18
Pheasant tail nymph # 16
Cased caddis #16

Those 18s are so small. Like microscopic. I dont know what made me get that size. I guess I had the wrong image in my head from some I saw in the store. Are these flies too small. I know I will get more in different sizes sooner or later but these look too small to me. What size does everybody use. I am in south east michigan. going to be fishing clinton river and paint creek too. any advice? I chose those flies based on some stuff I read on this forum fro beginners. thanks for any help.

Oh yeah, Blue Fly Cafe is a great shop. I ordered on monday and they came today, and they were very good with the emails too. very fast service.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Did I get the wrong size flies????

gr8johnson,
It has always been my experience that when it comes to flies that the smaller the better. I too when I first started out thought that a size 18 was microscopic. Now that I've done more research on the matter I think the size 18 is mighty large these days. Especially, after tying midge flies that are size 22 & 24. I think the smallest is the size 32 which is truely microscopic.

Anyway, as to your question are they to small I don't believe they are. You should be able to catch a great deal of trout with the sizes that you bought. Yes, the stores carry larger sizes because most of them are tied over seas in bulk and the larger versions of the files are usually easier to tie.

If your interested in the Entomology in Michigan try this link:

http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/~e...cophildae.html

I have others if your interested let me know.
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 06-10-2006, 11:34 PM

ffffg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Did I get the wrong size flies???

on the missouri river here they would not be out of line.. it depends on what the experienced fly shop dealer says.. he should not steer you wrong if he wants to stay in buisiness.. go to the river and ask some friendly people what they are using. its best if you catch someone who is loading up to go,but your going to have to get out there and do some foot work and hopefully get your feet wet.. i usually get flys from a couple fly shops in the area.. in our town there are fly shops and spin reel shops.. to be sure go to the fly shop.. presentation is going to be important too. that is where you put the fly and how it acts/drifts.. on top, in the top film, just under the surface, bouncing on the bottom, or rising from the bottom.. im hardly the one to be answering the question,hopefully some others that are better than this than i am will be answering this, if they are not all gone fishing.. . dave..
Old 06-11-2006, 02:49 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

It really depends on the water you are fishing. I know many places they would be perfect.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

gr8johnson,
It has always been my experience that when it comes to flies that the smaller the better. I too when I first started out thought that a size 18 was microscopic. Now that I've done more research on the matter I think the size 18 is mighty large these days. Especially, after tying midge flies that are size 22 & 24. I think the smallest is the size 32 which is truely microscopic.

Anyway, as to your question are they to small I don't believe they are. You should be able to catch a great deal of trout with the sizes that you bought. Yes, the stores carry larger sizes because most of them are tied over seas in bulk and the larger versions of the files are usually easier to tie.

If your interested in the Entomology in Michigan try this link:

http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/~e...cophildae.html

I have others if your interested let me know.
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 06-12-2006, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I think the sizes of flies that you got are pretty ideal for catching trout most anywhere. I wouldn't go as far to say that 18's are large, but they really probably are middle of the road when it comes to what trout really eat.

I use one of these tools when tying on flies size 16 or smaller and find that it works really well. http://www2.llbean.com/product/36013.htm I would get the midge size, as it will hold flies up to size 12 or so, but the regular one won't hold the 20's and 22's you'll eventually come around to using.

Also make sure to have hemostats with you when fishing flies that size, as there may not be enough of it sticking out for you to grab hold of to remove it from the fish.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:04 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

More important than the water you are fishing is the bug that you are trying to imitate. If a size 18 bug is hatching, then the size 18 fly would be a good choice.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:28 PM

bwo is on a distinguished road

gr8johnson,
I think that's a good fly assortment you've got there. I definitely wouldn't waste any time worrying about it.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:44 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

these flys will work. I personally have never went under a 16 so far but I am new. I am gonna make some size 16 and 18 midge patterns for this year tho. you are not the 1st person to say that you thought they were too little. everyone I show my stuff to say you can catch a fish with that? lol. think about it tho. I have seen lots of bugs on the wtaer that are small. a plus side is not only can you catch bigger fish but you can catch smaller fish too small gills and such. even minnows too. (seriously I have caught some) have fun. just remember to use the appropriate leader and tippet for the size of fly you have.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:27 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Trout see nymphs throughout their various stages of growth. Right before an insect emerges they are most active & trout can key in on that particular bug. The rest of the time trout, being opportunistic feeders will taste anything that looks lika a bug if they are in a feeding lie, so sz. 18 is actually a good size choice for searching with nymphs....... My motto is that if nothing is happening go to an adams & I usually fish them in sz. 16-18 . You picked up the selection I carry in my main box (along with about 1000 others in other boxes) so don't sweat it.