The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 09:06 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Stonefly nymph antennae

I've been putting two biots out front on these flies but I just finished reading A.K. Best's book and he says leave them off the nymph because the actual insect folds the antennae back while swimming. New to me.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:47 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stonefly nymph antennae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
I've been putting two biots out front on these flies but I just finished reading A.K. Best's book and he says leave them off the nymph because the actual insect folds the antennae back while swimming. New to me.
I just watched a Scottish guy on you tube the other day make a caddis nymph. He used pheasant tail fibers for the antennae, and folded them back down the fly. At the time I thought "Odd, I've never seen antennae done that way." Now you post this. I may have to rethink the whole antenna thing.

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

It took me a bit to relocate the video, but here it is. It's kind of interesting to see their take on a caddis. At the end, notice the antennae are pointing to the back end of the fly.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:06 AM

the oatkan is on a distinguished road

Stick w/ the Biot's but try tying them in back of head the way I do here

Oatka Creek Fly Fishing Blog

Works amazing
Old 12-21-2009, 08:32 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I quit putting the front antennae on stoneflies a long time ago...Now if I do want to, I use small dark rubber legs...I have started playing with using the same item for the tails...

Dan
Old 12-21-2009, 09:01 AM

the oatkan is on a distinguished road

I concur, little round rubber makes excellent stonefly tail's, leg's, and antennae.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:33 PM

Huron River Dan- I guess that was my point- are those of us going to the trouble of putting on antennae wasting our time if the nymph folds them back while swimming. Since you stopped putting them on have you noticed any change in how the fly works?
Old 12-22-2009, 08:40 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Not at all...If you think about it, I always think riffles when I'm fishing stoneflies; in those conditions a trout or Steelhead isn't going to see antennae even if you do tye them on.

My $0.02 worth....

Dan
Old 12-22-2009, 07:39 PM

Thanks