The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Blue spey

I was unable to sleep last night so while I was up I tied this spey fly. The color of the spey hackle and the feather wings is Raspberry reaction Kool-aid blue.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:25 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blue spey

I like it!
Old 12-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Dan,

I like everything about this tie. Color, proportioning, and choice of materials are all great. No matter how I try to create a new pattern my flies all look alike to me. You have done an outstanding job of creativity for a guy who simply couldn't fall asleep.

Think I'll have some coffee around 10:00 tonight..........hum.........

Ard
Old 12-20-2009, 05:49 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Dan,

What are you using for Spey hackle? Nice tie.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dan: Very nice looking sprey pattern! I really like the color combo!

Larry
Old 12-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. The spey hackle is rooster tail I work the barbs out of with my fingers. I saw a guy do it on you tube. You strip one side, then wet your fingers and work the remaining side out straight from the stem crushing the the little hooks on the fibers. Rooster tail has pretty long fibers. The one I used here is 1 3/4" long. Thay are long enough to get a couple flies out of them at least. I dyed the wings (silver Badger hackle) and the spey hackle with Raspberry Reaction Kool-Aid. It works really well, and is permanent. Kind of makes you wonder about drinking Kool-Aid. The body is purple SLF and a blue oval tinsel which is hard to see in the photo. I found a great way to get the wings to set the way you want them from a guy on the Spey rod forum. It involves wetting the wings after you tye them then put a wet paper towel over the wings in the shape you want them to stay, and allow it to slow dry. When it's dry they stay that way. They even go back when they dry after fishing it. Must have something to do with the slow drying because of the wet towel. And then blue at the butt is ostrich herl.

Last edited by Guest1; 12-22-2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Eliminate redundant word.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:43 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Cool looking fly Dan...I think I'd be stocking up on No-Doze...

Dan