The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 09:35 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough
Default Sheep Fly?

anyone heard of this pattern?
was watching a show on TV (Fly Fishing Profiles) the other day and they had a guy on there named Don Howell...and he was talking about a Sheep fly pattern...anyone know where to get the recipie or tying instructions?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:08 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Sheep Fly?

Do a web search on the guy and or the fly pattern...

Dan
Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 AM

luked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the roughluked is a jewel in the rough

Tried that and didnt come up with much

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

well found where i can buy it...dont look like its that hard of a pattern at all..what you guys think

Davidson River Outfitters - Sheepfly
Old 02-18-2010, 10:37 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I noticed they didn't put a name next to that glowing endorsement. Looks like a turd with hackle and a tail to me.
I may be wrong, some butt ugly flies catch fish.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Here it is....ugly indeed
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I tried tying a Sheep Fly but couldn't get the horns right.

Frank
Old 02-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Getting as naughty as me Frank
Old 02-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatahey View Post
I noticed they didn't put a name next to that glowing endorsement. Looks like a turd with hackle and a tail to me.
I may be wrong, some butt ugly flies catch fish.
It looks like a Timberline Emerger

after thanksgiving dinner

The TE was developed by Randall Kaufmann for use in lakes to imitate emergent callibaetis mayflies, so a similar fly is not too likely to be a dud.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:56 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

??
Try Dark Cahill or even an Adams wet

the Dark Cahill
Old 02-20-2010, 09:45 PM

docdahlonega is on a distinguished road

You will find the pattern in the book " Tying and Fishing Southern Appalachian Trout Flies" by Don Howell. Don was the father of Kevin Howell, the current owner of Davidson River Outfitters and developer of several fly patterns. I have both tied and fished the sheep fly and found it to be effective in certain situations.