The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 10:47 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Deer hair question

I was just gifted a ziplock freezer bag full of deer hair-- mostly belly hair from what I can surmise. --Ought to be good for spinning, and stacking--- feels really 'bouncy'...

But, what I am unsure about is: I have only hair (no skin, not hided, literally just shaved hair) what do I need to do to this stuff? I know any ticks would be embedded in the hide so ticks shouldn't be an issue, I don't think deer really get fleas-- again no issue....

Do I need to do anything before I start spinning, or do I just make bugs?

I have the hair in the garage-- not heated--- figure any little bugs that might be in there will be dead in a day or two with the cold that we have....

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

T
Old 02-20-2010, 11:24 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Deer hair question

Our FF club recently had a sale of fly tying materials and the experienced guys advised me to put hair and feathers in the freezer for a couple of days.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:30 PM

rmooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nicermooney is just really nice

shaved deer hair? that that seems like it would be harder to handle than if it was still attached to the hide. but if you use a hair stacker it should be fine
Old 02-20-2010, 11:53 PM

2PawsRiver will become famous soon enough

I couldn't even imagine working with shave deer hair, I make a big enough mess cutting it from the hide.....give me an address and I'll send you some on the hide.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:04 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

How badly jumbled a mess is the hair? I have cut hair off some road kill ( a Moose) stuff before and layed the hair all one direction with the tips lined up. In rows across the bag. If you are careful as you put it in the bag, it stays pretty usable. If it is a jumbled mess you may want to get some on the hide for spinning and stacking. You can always pick enough out of a jumbled mess to make flies like Humpies and what not.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:50 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Thanks Jimmie-- I'll make sure it stays frozen for a few days.

Mooney, Paws, and Dan-- My first thought when he said he has some deer hair for me- (and we got to talking and I realized he was talking just shaved....) was 'no thanks', but didn't want t be rude and say it.... He is a friend after all-- But he was very diligent in his packing process, all facing the same direction, layered, and organized nicely--- I can just reach in and get a pencil, put it in a stacker, and voila..... think about how much I'm saving on the edge of my scissors blades... LOL
Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 AM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

My neighbor got a nice elk, and had it hanging in his shed.....he cut off a 2' x 2' chunk of hide.....I salted it, hung it for 2 days.....beat the salt off, rubbed the hide....no bugs...no problems.....
Old 02-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi flytyer_neal,

I don't think two days of salt is enough time to draw out all of the moisture. That piece may sour/spoil on your if you don't salt it longer. I always salted and let it set until it was wet and then remove and re-salt and repeat until I couldn't get any more liquid out of the hide. I assume you scraped it before you salted it? It is only a two inch piece but I just think there is more moisture still there, maybe not.

Frank