The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Flies (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/)
-   -   Flies to get for starters? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/flies/12844-flies-get-starters.html)

shenvalley 03-01-2010 08:51 PM

Flies to get for starters?

I'm new to the sport and recently been buying imitators. At the urging of a fellow angler, I've been told to start picking up some attractors. I've settled on a few classic attractor patterns to start (Adams, Wulff, Hare's Ear, Pheasant Tail) but am now wondering if I need all of the different versions. By that I mean an Adams pattern in the following versions: Dry Dun, Spinners, CDC Parachute, CDC Biot Parachute, Compara-dun, Emergers, Loop wing emerger, Sparkle Dun...all of them are Adams.

Does anyone have any advice on just the versions of these patterns I should start with? Thanks for any of your advice!

oregonism 03-01-2010 09:44 PM

Re: Flies to get for starters?

I've generally always fished "attractor" patterns in various shapes and sizes and they will often work. This is actually the first year I plan to do a lot of research on matching the hatch in hopes of having a more productive year for trout. My favorites are the parachute adams in various colors and sizes, especially for streams. The Wulff also rides high in the water and I've caught a huge amount of fish on it. I think one of my favorite dries, though, is the royal coachman in various sizes. I've always had good luck with it.

For nymphs, I prefer the flashback pheasant tail, prince and hare's ear. They can all be very productive and tied/bought in various sizes and colors to match various hatches.

Edit: meant the "irresistible wulff". It's got a elk hair body and rides super high in the water. Perfect for stream fishing.

MoscaPescador 03-01-2010 10:54 PM

Attractors are very productive. I'm partial to humpies, trudes, and large foam hoppers/ants.

An attractor nymph that is very popular here in Northern California is Mike Mercer's Psycho Prince. It is a variation of the Prince Nymph.

MP

Jimmie 03-01-2010 11:41 PM

There have been "favorite fly"; "top five"; etc. threads. You already have four of the the top five. I'd fill in some different sizes of those. Then I'd add some streamers (woolley buggers, etc); terrestrials (ants, hoppers); midges; gnats; mosquitoes. OH, I forgot my favorite dry, Elk Hair Caddis.

shenvalley 03-02-2010 10:55 PM

Thanks folks! I'll get em.

webrx 03-03-2010 08:58 AM

Some flies I like to carry.

Dry Flies:
Adams or Parachute Adams, Stimulator (stone fly imitation), Bi-visible, Elk Hair Caddis, Foam Ant or Beetle

Nymphs:
Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear, Pheasant Tail Nymph, Prince Nymph, Copper John

Streamers:
Woolly Bugger, Mickey Finn, Leach pattern (especially on still water), Muddler Minnow

Other I like:
Girdle Bug (with centipede legs) and Red Headed Greenie Weenie

Dave

webrx 03-04-2010 08:57 AM

I was talking to my son, who is just starting out, and I came upon the realization that I fish the flies I listed above about 90% of the time. I also carry a bunch more, but in reality, these are what I usually tie on, throw in the BWO or a couple variations of the classic adams (a spinner or two), and the flies I pick up from the swaps I do and I can fish just about anywhere with these. I do also like the royal wulff and a couple other dry patterns, but, as I said, 90% of the time I fish the flies above. Just thought I would pass that on.

Dave