The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 11:14 PM

smoky_hiker will become famous soon enough
Default Local Flies..

Would one be out of line to buy flies at a fly shop that is located in the same region in which he plans on fishing? Going with the presumption that the flies sold there are some what close to the natural fish fare in that area.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Local Flies..

This is an excellent way to find out what the fish are after. Even though I tie flies I always used to stop at shops in new parts of the country to pick up half a dozen and let the guy at the counter tell me whatever he had to say about regional fishing conditions. There is no better way to break the ice in a fly shop than to hit it with your wallet.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-22-2011, 06:50 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I remember stopping at a fly shop along the Gallatin near where the Taylor Fork comes into it, with a plan to fish Taylor Fork. The very knowledgeable guy working that day sold me a few "special" caddis. Long story short, I tore it up with those flies. I'm with Ard, great idea to stop in and buy a few flies and get a little info, too.
Gary
Old 04-22-2011, 06:57 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
This is an excellent way to find out what the fish are after. Even though I tie flies I always used to stop at shops in new parts of the country to pick up half a dozen and let the guy at the counter tell me whatever he had to say about regional fishing conditions. There is no better way to break the ice in a fly shop than to hit it with your wallet.

Ard
+1 to what Ard said. Not only regional fishing conditions, but recommendations as to where to fish. Are they going to give you directions on where to stand on their 'Pet Rock?' Probably not, but I've found they'll usually get you darned close.

Why get fairly specific vs just generalizations? First, as Ard notes, you've got money on the counter (and will probably put more down); secondly if you're just a visitor 'he' really won't view you as 'competition' other than for the next few days. Thirdly, the Internet works. Good service begets rave reviews (there's NOTHING that sells like a
).

fae
Old 04-22-2011, 09:46 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to what's been said.

Sometimes you will walk into a fly shop, and the guy or gal behind the desk is a signature fly tier for a fly company, and you know it. The flies that he or she ties can be a catalogued pattern, but they are tied better. Sometimes you will get the tweaked variation of his/her pattern that is now catching fish.

A customer of mine went into a little shack of a fly shop in Truckee, California, last year. He bought some of the local flies. He was kind of upset that he paid more per fly than he would had back at home. It stopped bothering him when he caught fish. Actually those were the first fish he caught on the Truckee ever after trying for two seasons. When I told him that his Burk's Hunchback Infrequens flies that he used were tied by Andy Burk, Umpqua Feather Merchant signature fly designer, he finally got it.

Dennis
Old 04-22-2011, 10:04 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Doesn't even have to be a "new" stream either. I contact my favorite fly shop guy (10 miles from the river I frequent) by text the week before, by phone the day before and then stop in on the way to the river to chew the fat and hear that weeks fishing storys. 9 times out of 10, the information gathered improves my fish to hand rate. I buy everything but flies from him as I tye my own...but we share pattern ideas and swap flies, there is often other guys in the shop tying and we all do a round of "hey, try this one and let me know" fly swapping.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:23 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Although the flies you bought three states away might catch fish, there is a strong probability that a locals flies will do a better job.
Cataloge flies are tied for "every drainage".
Andy walks down to the water, catches a bug, then ties it up.
Fish like'm fresh..... and local.
Support local shops when possible!!!

Jim

By the way, Andy's going to appear frequently at the Sports Exchange in Truckee this summer.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:31 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jim,
I heard about Andy setting up shop at the Sports Exchange. I'm looking forward to that.

Dennis
Old 04-23-2011, 08:25 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

II would not think of visiting a new (or old) area without setting aside time to visit the local shops. The Yellowstone vicinity has some of the most innovative tiers I have come across. I sometimes devote an entire day to make the rounds in W. Yellowstone, Bozeman, Ennis, Gardiner, Dillon, Twin Bridges, etc...but then, I am a "fly shop junkie"...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-27-2011, 07:30 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

+3, 4 or whatever number we're up to now from what Ard said

I try amd make it a point to go to a local shop and pick up a few flys that are fishing well locally. More often than not, I'll walk out with the flys, whatever else I pick up and new information. If I plan on going back to that area, I'll generally save one of the most effective patterns and use it as a sample so that I can tie some up when I go back to fish that area. This is not to say that I won't go back to the shop to pick up more the next time I return. Seems there's always something that's working that I don't have in my box!