The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 06:57 PM

possumsniper is on a distinguished road
Question Redrum fly

Wondering if anyone might know where I can find a redrum fly. Have read about them, but can't seem to find one.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:03 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Redrum fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by possumsniper View Post
Wondering if anyone might know where I can find a redrum fly. Have read about them, but can't seem to find one.
Do you mean "red drum," as in the fish, or do you mean "redrum," from
The Shining
?

MP
Old 03-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure but I'll bet it would 'murder' them!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:40 PM

Redrum as in the shining. Supposed to be a Redrum Nymph. Was designed and first tied by Eddie George, And yes it is supposed to be a killer for trout.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

possumsniper-

Red drum are also called redfish, and if you do a google on "redfish flies" you'll probably come up with a ton of different patterns. Here's a site that should give you plenty of ideas:
Top Redfish Flies

A good selection of redfish flies would include some stuff that's heavily weighted for fishing deeper water when fish are mudding in water 3' or more deep as well as some lightly weighted stuff for fishing shallow water when they're tailing in water that may be only a few inches deep.

good luck,

mark

Oops!! I see I'm late to the party--- sorry not familiar with the redrum nymph
Old 03-11-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
possumsniper-

Red drum are also called redfish, and if you do a google on "redfish flies" you'll probably come up with a ton of different patterns. Here's a site that should give you plenty of ideas:
Top Redfish Flies

A good selection of redfish flies would include some stuff that's heavily weighted for fishing deeper water when fish are mudding in water 3' or more deep as well as some lightly weighted stuff for fishing shallow water when they're tailing in water that may be only a few inches deep.

good luck,

mark

Oops!! I see I'm late to the party--- sorry not familiar with the redrum nymph
I know all that, I live on the Bama Gulf Coast and catch tons of Redfish.LOL
This is supposed to be a killer fly that is used in the Smoky Mountains for trout.

Last edited by possumsniper; 03-11-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:30 PM

I think I finally found one. Anyone care to guess what type of fly might be best to match?

FlyTyingForum.com - Red Rum
Old 03-12-2010, 09:42 AM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

that looks to me like a salmon/steelhead fly. probably not something you' want to use for rainbows in the smoky mtns. just a thought
Old 03-12-2010, 10:44 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this is what you're looking for. Looks like a winner to me

Click the image to open in full size.

another

Old 03-12-2010, 07:04 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Here's another great trout fly for the Smokey Mtns. In fact the Tellico Nymph was developed in that area and then became popular everywhere. Don't know why, but I really like tying this one. Maybe because there are so many variations.
Hope this link works.