The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 06:33 PM

tanglefoot is on a distinguished road
Default dressmakers or embroidery silk thread??

How does the above threads compare to fly tying silk????
I have no fly suppliers within 100 miles, I need to make do with what I can find-----Road kill pheasant, grouse etc provide some nice feathers.
Jim
Old 04-26-2011, 07:15 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dressmakers or embroidery silk thread??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglefoot View Post
How does the above threads compare to fly tying silk????
I have no fly suppliers within 100 miles, I need to make do with what I can find-----Road kill pheasant, grouse etc provide some nice feathers.
Jim
You can find fine nylon thread in a craft shop (I think it's used for doll making). I've used sewing thread in a pinch, it's not as strong but you do what you can to support your habit. I work on a busy highway in New Jersey. My boss was beside himself when he saw me on highway at 8AM in a shirt and tie plucking feathers from a dead goose. He pulled up next next to me and said, "What the hell are you doing???" Biots boss! Biots!!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:04 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine caught me running down the shoulder of the highway the other day with a dead squirrel in my hand. I don't have a fly shop in at least 250 miles from here. I rely on catalogs.......and road kill.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:22 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Nothing bad in using road kill or substitute thread. We are fly tyer's after all. Our addiction needs fed
Old 04-27-2011, 09:03 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

I have seen some very interesting nymph patterns tied with this stuff:

Gutermann Silk Thread

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 05-01-2011, 08:36 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

[quote=planettrout;247535]I have seen some very interesting nymph patterns tied with this stuff:

Gutermann Silk Thread

I've used many dressmaking Threads as a friends mate was a traveller for a Thread Manufacturer,as well as he used to sell other products as a sideline.
Re/Your Daughters Quote.
A Former workmate said to me when we were Fishing,when I told him how many Rods I had,"Fly Rods are like Toilets, you can only use one at a time",I replied "at least if I happen to break one I can usuall set myself up to fish in a short time & I thought to myself,you can spend more time in the Toilet".