The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 04:24 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of
Post Two simple Mother's Day flies..

I first posted these two patterns back in May, 2008. I am re-posting them because the have been extremely effective for me around the “Mother’s Day Hatch”. The first is the Guide Serendipity which was developed by Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone and the second, The Owens Serendipity is a variation on that pattern in a larger size that has taken numerous large Brown Trout on the Lower Owens before and after the sun hits the water. I tie another variation of the Guide Serendipity using chartreuse Danville 6/0 thread and seven (7) turns of XSM, blue, Wapsi wire. These patterns may be quickly tied. They are fished from the bottom to just under the surface of the water column, dead drift and swung…

GUIDE SERENDIPITY
Click the image to open in full size.

Hook: TMC 5262, # 14-18

Thread: Gordon Griffith’s 14/0 Black

Abdomen: Chartruse Zelon. 1/3 hank, twisted over hook

Wing: White Zelon

A REALLY GOOD PATTERN. Simple to tie, effective and particularly useful when Brachycentrus Caddis are about. I also tie this pattern with 6/0 chartruse thread for the abdomen and rib it with xsm blue wire ( 7 turns). It sometimes out fishes the original on the Owens in the Spring and slams in size # 18 in the Fall. As a thought, a strand of Pearl Krystal Flash twisted into this pattern will add some flash…

OWENS SERENDIPITY

Hook: TMC 5262, #12-18

Thread: Gordon Griffithh’s 14/0, Benichi 12/0, Uni 8/0 – Black

Abdomen: 1/3 hank Brown Zelon, 1/3 hank Olive (DK) Zelon 1 strand Peacock Krystal Flash, 1 strand Rusty Brown Krystal Flash (twist together, wrap forward).

Wing: White Zelon

I was goofing around one day with some old, unused Mustad hooks and came up with this. Like most of the patterns that I design, it works best when I fish it with confidence! I first tried this pattern on the Lower Owens early one Spring morning. I caught a lot of fish and broke many hooks – hence, the TMC 5262 became my standard. Dark water, undercut banks…go for it!

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Last edited by planettrout; 03-19-2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 03-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two simple Mother's Day flies..

Nice looking flies, thanks for posting the receipes along with the photos.

Larry