The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 PM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about
Default What do you do with flies you tied b4 you increased your talents

I have alot of flies ( I know we all do ) but alot of them were when I was still learning, not to say I'm not still learning, but my talent has gotten better in my opinion.......these flies caught fish, but now the ones I tie are much better.....I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this problem....what to do?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:53 PM

catfish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What do you do with flies you tied b4 you increased your talents

i've only been tying about 2 1/2 month so i don't have your problem
of to many flies but when they don't turn out so well
i grab a razor blade and strip it down and reuse the hook
Old 03-21-2010, 11:33 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

One of two things. If they are fairly good ties I give them to friends. Otherwise same as catfish. I keep an exacto type razor tool nearby, and strip the fly back to the hook. Sometimes I get away with just stipping the thorax and head then a new tie-in.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:28 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Like Jimmie and Catfish, I remove the old materials and reuse the hooks.

But recently, I found an old stash of Woolly Buggers that I tied up when I started tying back in '01. I used one of the buggers last Thursday and Today. It has caught five fish so far. Even poorly tied buggers catch fish.

MP
Old 03-22-2010, 07:51 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

I have a "rejects" jar at the end of my tying table. Eventually when I am running low on hooks or bored I will strip away materials and salvage hooks and beads.
Cabot
Old 03-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekiu002 View Post
I have a "rejects" jar at the end of my tying table. Eventually when I am running low on hooks or bored I will strip away materials and salvage hooks and beads.
Cabot
Same here, I put them in the reject jar!

Larry
Old 03-22-2010, 10:56 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I just use them, mainly because I'm cheap and hate wasting $.18 worth of material.

If they're too ugly, I'll use them for panfish. They seem to go after anything you throw at them.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:51 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I use them for panfish, like Ant stated. This past Fall I made a resolution to
slow down, and tie each fly to the best of my ability. I still cull flies into a
little panfish box, and found some really nice ties in it yesterday while fishing.
Guess I'm getting too picky now.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I fished them and hoped some fish would destroy the evidence, or cut the old stuff off and retye them. I tohave a jar, but it is full of flies that have been fished till they are wrecked. Someday I may get bored and chop those hooks clean too.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:38 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

I stripped about 50 of em over this winter. I can't say I retied the same pattern except maybe a dozen or so. I just used the hooks for something else mostly.