The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 11:09 PM

bmadd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help.

Unfortunately there aren't really any fly shops in my area. Besides what Dick's Sporting Goods and Gander Mountain carries that is.

As for the gnat pattern, most of the ones I have found so far seem to just have a thread body where the one I have looks to be more of a chenile body.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You may be looking at getting a fly tying kit........................ it isn't that hard and tying for Blue Gill is a great way to start.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-13-2010, 08:32 AM

stasher1 will become famous soon enoughstasher1 will become famous soon enough

I saw this posted somewhere else and figured it might help you out a little bit. You can get 20 trout flies from Orvis for $9.95 with free shipping.

Best Trout Flies / 20 Most Popular Selection -- Orvis

There's bound to be something in that set that'll work for panfish, and they're all labeled on the card so you'll know what to look for when/if you find something that works for you.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:41 PM

Thanks for that Stasher.

Hardy- I wanted to eventually step up to fly tying but while I'm still trying to get better with my casting I just wanted to buy some. I'm going to keep looking but I have a better idea of what to look for now.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

on the forum...late is better than never
Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 PM

bono is on a distinguished road

gander mt. carries a large selection of flies up here in pa should be the same in tn. all you need for a start, good luck catching big gills.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:30 PM

Thanks guys!
Old 04-14-2010, 08:09 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Welcome to the Forum...You can't go wrong using spiders for gills...You can also try nymphs for them, get yourself some PT nymphs with beadheads, gold ribbed hare's ear etc..Try running a small nymph off your spider...

Dan
Old 04-14-2010, 10:44 AM

Walmart carries Bett's foam spiders in size 12 so I can get those. The two flies in the original post have been catching just as many gills and I just can't find them. I've made a list of other flies I want to try as well. Just trying to secure some more of these.

Does anyone know of any tiers who might be able to disect these flies and possibly tie some more?
Old 04-14-2010, 01:32 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

hey bmadd. Just about any good tier with some experience should be able to duplicate those flies.