The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 05:19 PM

bmadd is on a distinguished road
Default Help.

I'm new to the board here as well as relatively new to fly fishing. Been looking around for a few days and I have a question about two flies I have.

I received these from someone else helping me along with learning fly fishing. I'm not sure what they are called or where I can get more. I started with two of each and lost one beadhead and had one of the dry flies torn apart after a good afternoon fishing for bluegills. If anyone can help me identify them or find more I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:26 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help.

Hi and welcome aboard!

Not sure what those flies are, the black one looks like a type of Adam's style fly and the purple one... maybe tied by the Joker?

But if you are looking to purchaser flies, you should try blueflycafe.com. They're good quality and decent quality. I used to by mine there before I started tying my own.

Again, welcome!

Ant
Old 04-12-2010, 10:31 PM

stasher1 will become famous soon enoughstasher1 will become famous soon enough

You wouldn't happen to be the same bmadd from Bass Resource, would you?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:36 PM

Yes, that would be me stasher1. I've kind of wore myself out on all my bass fishing and I am focusing more on panfishing with my fly rod now. Going to try for bass on a fly rod before too long also.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Welcome to the group,

Looks like some rendition of a black gnat and a small bead head flymph (fly - nymph) tied with purple estaz or something similar. Take them with you to your local shops when you visit.

It helps to know where you live and what you are fishing for.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey bmadd, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've been having a blast.

The top one looks like a "Black Gnat"-- they can be tied as wet flies or as dry flies.

The wet fly version usually has a red tail like the one in the pic, dries usually have a black tail.

Not sure what the beadhead pattern is- it might be someone's secret pattern--- does your buddy tie?

The good news though is that bluegills usually aren't too picky in terms of patterns. Here are some suggestions of some widely available patterns. Don't feel you need to get all of them, but it would be good to have some that cover different layers of the water column top, middepth and deeper..

If you can find some stuff for top water like:
foam spiders with rubber legs size 10 or 12
small poppers size 10 or 12
bushy, heavily hackled dry fly patterns like Royal Wulff, Humpy size 10 or 12
Grasshopper patterns size 8 or 10

Some subsurface patterns
Soft Hackle Peacock and Partridge or Orange and Peacock size 10 or 12
Wet fly like a McGinty, or Black Gnat size 10 or 12
Girdle bug size 10 or 12

Some heavier weighted patterns
beadhead nymph like a Gold Ribbed Hares Ear, or Prince Nymph 10 or 12
beadhead woolly bugger size 8 or 10

Hope this helps a bit. Again welcome to the forum!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

bmadd: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing. I can't help much for giving suggestions for fishing bluegills, but I'm sure others will give you plenty of suggestions. If you do a google search for discount flies you will find a number of outfits selling flies at very reasonable prices once you figure out what to use for your fish you are targeting.

Larry
Old 04-12-2010, 10:50 PM

stasher1 will become famous soon enoughstasher1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmadd View Post
Yes, that would be me stasher1. I've kind of wore myself out on all my bass fishing and I am focusing more on panfishing with my fly rod now. Going to try for bass on a fly rod before too long also.

That's what I'm doing here. I spent the weekend fishing for trout, and will be hitting the local puddle for panfish in a couple days, but my main interest is bass.

Anyway, welcome. I'm new here as well, but so far it seems a lot like BR...with less moderator editing.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:57 PM

Guys thanks for all the responses so far. A little background, I live in North West TN. I fish with a 7'6" 4wt rod. So far, most of the gills I've been catching have fallen to size 12 black foam spiders. I've caught a fair share of gills on a gold version of that bead head and several gills on the black gnat pattern dressed with goop and fished on the surface. I've also been catching several on a size 10 black and olive wooly bugger.

As far as the bead head goes, I received it from somebody in North Carolina that I had asked help for via the net. That was a while back and I don't have his contact info. I can't seem to figure out anything that really looks close but if there's a way I could send it to somebody to investigate and possibly tie some new ones in a gold color? They don't seem to like the gold.

Thanks again. You guys are making me feel at home real quick.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

B,

Glad to hear you like it here. Take a look in the warm Water forums for some others who fish the same species as you are after. Go to "Forums on the menu bar and click, then scroll down to find regional forums.

Do you have a fly shop near your home? If so they are going to be your 'go to' source to get what you're looking for. For Blue Gill fishing many dry flies will do the trick, there may be some local favorites and somewhere there is a shop.

Ard