The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 11:54 PM

rockhoppernc is on a distinguished road
Default well made my first 5 streamers,,,pic heavy

well I am going to where the big fish play on friday and just made a few streamers to throw DEEP and see how they do...they might not look that well but this is just a test....they all have a few strips of gold to make them flash.
Iwill take some video of them running in the water as well as under water.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: well made my first 5 streamers,,,pic heavy

R Hopper,

You have the right idea about finding out what they look like under water. I tie a lot of flies that look like art in the vise but some don't have what it takes when in the drink. Your flies remind me of McNally Magnums. They should work very well for bass.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with them. Where will you be tossing them?

They look like they'd be great to bounce off the bottom for bass in freshwater, but....

around here (in the Northeast) in salt water there are a lot of long narrow fish called sand eels. They burrow completely into the sand when chased by predators like striped bass and bluefish, and puffing those flies along a sandy bottom could be a great way to hook up if you're throwing these somewhere along the coast.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:18 PM

Well I will be throwing them in large holes where a nice river runs into a larger river, the french broad,,,I am going for small mouth and LARGE brown trout chasing bait fish...going to try my luck,,,I had a friend there last week and he told me he got tired of catching so many large trout and bass..I added the long gold ribbon so they will flash like crazy..im going out in the morning at 4:30 am so i will be in the hot spot at sun rise
Old 05-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Rockhopper,

Good looking flies. If you miss some strikes you might consider a stinger hook. I didn't know IRWIN was making fly tying vises.

How are you making out with your new Peak. I think you got a Peak?

Frank
Old 05-06-2010, 05:09 PM

well after a little looking i did not like how they looked behind the head so i took care of that...

I think they look better now.what do you think?

This one I think I like the most...this is a photo of the under side of the fly-

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Well I went with the ECHO carbon 9 foot 6wt...and I love it...it is a med-fast cast....Got it new for $150 shipped
Old 10-25-2010, 02:39 AM

bass bug is on a distinguished road

good looking flies,maybe they could find there way:: to me in Norway konk for bass and sea trout