The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2010, 09:31 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Default Re: Fly whores?

Before my first trip out this spring I went to a local fly shop that had just opened. Being that I am pretty much a novice at fly fishing and my father-in-law was coming for a visit, I wanted there opinion on a location as well as some fly/nymph recommendations. After having a great conversation with the guys there I finally asked him to give me some of his best flies that he had. He gave me a very nice wooly bugger and two BH prince. I was very impressed. Great quality! Then he told me the price. The wooly bugger was 3.50! I thought, "Its only a #14, howmuch material does it take?"
However, I swallowed my pride and tried to hide my surprise that was so obviously written on my face. I told myself, "this is what real fly-fisherman use."
After a whole day on the river without much success, with fatigue and hunger setting in, I saw what I thought was the perfect spot just across the river. I tossed my line and, lo-and-behold..........a perfect snag. Too much throttle pedal. My 3.50 wooly bugger stuck across the river, in a piece of driftwood just on the bank.
Took me half an hour with my father-in-law waiting, but finally i found a place to get across the river and retrieve my prized wooly bugger.
So goes my adventure with my first expensive fly.
I thought it was funny.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 06-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I probably would consider learning to tie my own at those prices............. Geeze, a size 14 bugger, who ever thought of that? I don't use 3.50 worth of materials on a nice salmon fly so............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-03-2010, 01:11 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Yeah tell me about it........After I bought it I found out that he didnt even tie it. It was from a buddy of his out west somewhere.
THe guys that owned the shop were great to talk to, I learned a lot. And their prices on other stuff including the BH Princes i bought were pretty reasonable, but he sure was proud of his buggers.......or his buddies buggers, or something........

Old 06-17-2010, 07:39 PM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

It has been pointed out to me that I should consider a 12 Step Recovery Program for my addiction to Fly Tying...

NAW...I'm in DELUSION - that's sincere DENIAL...

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 10-31-2010, 09:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg View Post
I knew a tier once, and I see it here. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking.
I started laughing, and I hate to admit it, but I am just as bad. I have done it with the dogs hair. I think it is a more common form of illness than many of us would like to admit.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I started laughing, and I hate to admit it, but I am just as bad. I have done it with the dogs hair. I think it is a more common form of illness than many of us would like to admit.
Being that my wife is a dog/cat groomer I have been holding off from getting in to tying for that simple fact. I can see myself pilfering through her planner to see what dogs she has scheduled and what I could do with the various textures and colors. Although I would have an extremely broad and endless supply.