The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 09:40 PM

cwg is on a distinguished road
Default Fly whores?

yes, an ugly description.
however, this week from ebay I've purchased a couple of dozen already. wicked cheap american made (or so they say) retired guys, bored guys...now I'm bidding on larger and larger lots, what the heck has happened to me?!?!!? I'm even buying patterns based on a gut feeling, or novelty. I really dont think I will ever use a mulberry fruit pattern, but I HAVE one now!
And those egg sucking leeches, must have. four shades of olive wooly buggers? bring them. and I just noticed about nine variants of muddlers. need moar....now
and probably need all those I bought this week on 12's on 10's and 14's too...right? am I right??
Old 05-18-2010, 12:42 AM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly whores?

sounds like you need to start tying, or tie more
Old 05-18-2010, 04:52 AM

no. No thank you sir, I'm fine being a ho', I'd rather not become a complete junkie. I'm in some kind of 100 step program.
I fight the urge to tie, I have a life and wish to keep it. I knew a tier once, and I see it here. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch.
must go now, ebay auctions closing in a few!
Old 05-18-2010, 05:16 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Thats funny. Good thing he wasn't staring at your head, he might have been thinking human hair.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:35 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
sounds like you need to start tying, or tie more
I'm always amazed at how cheap some of the fly on Ebay sell for, I don't think some folks can even be covering the cost of their materials (let alone postage, ebay fees, paypal fees, ....)

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-18-2010, 06:27 AM

boreal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg View Post
no. No thank you sir, I'm fine being a ho', I'd rather not become a complete junkie. I'm in some kind of 100 step program.
I fight the urge to tie, I have a life and wish to keep it. I knew a tier once, and I see it here. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch.
must go now, ebay auctions closing in a few!
cwg....you suck dude. I woke the damn kids while hack-laughing at that bro.
Pretty sure I found my new signature tho...
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 05-18-2010, 07:26 AM

My uncle got me started in fly fishing around '73 '74.
One time he took a cigarette filter, stuck a long shank thru it and caught a sunfish of some kind. He could take a fly rod and drop the popper into tea cups all over our yard, first time I'd seen this roll/back/modified cast. I was hooked so to speak from that moment on.

and I agree, its amazing they can do flies the way they are. I got an email reply from a guy who ties on ebay, does it by hand as a hobby of sorts. Said it takes him about 10 minutes to tie one, and costs are minimal, and he has been tying for ever and has trash cans full of various patterns.
Got one already, its outstanding, not raggedy loose like some chinese knockoff I really expected, these are for sunfish and after a couple dozen hits they tend to come undone. How can you sell a fly for a buck, ship it for .75 cents and not be a completely brain addled maniac?
Granted they are not the artwork I've seen posted here, but very functional and so cheap I am now trying to find a holder that doubles what I currently own-
Old 05-18-2010, 09:02 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Those cheap prices keep me from trying to sell on ebay. No way could I make money...and I don't think increased quality would sell there. I have a few friends that buy from me at I must say somewhat higher prices but mine start out looking better and last longer. I also have a deal with them that if they bring me one that's fallen apart, I'll retie it on the same hook for them for free.

A dozen here and there helps pay for my skin orders. I got a few takers this year for a couple dozen each by handing flies free to guys streamside with my card (email addy). I tell them how to fish what ever it is and where I'm camped. We'll see how that works through the summer....

So far, the response has been positive with comments leaning towards "a few quality flies, proven, are worth the price", and "small quality flies are hard to find". So I focus on smaller sizes and tight quality ties. priced 3.50 -> $5 each.

If it gets to be too much like work though, I'll quit pimpin.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Johnathan,

I can relate to that, I used to tie and sell a few dozen dry flies years ago in order to gather funding for capes. Not many, but I did them up like you couldn't find at the shops and I got top dollar for them.

As for the concept of spending our lives at the bench........ nah, an hour here an hour there is all it has ever taken me to keep an inventory way beyond my needs. I got my tying kit when I was thirteen and once I began catching Bluegills, chubs, and then trout on my own creations I have had trouble using store bought flies. I will use a fly tied by a friend (now I get them in swaps) but the rest are from my vise.

Unless you have some condition that would stop you from learning to tie flies I believe the practice completes your indoctrination into the cult of fly fishermen. In the years I've spent winding materials onto hooks I have tied flies from the lowly Bi Visible to Rogans' Royal Ghost, and the spirit of all those who have gone before me lives on through those works.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-18-2010, 02:49 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road

See dubbya....they'd tie em anyway. Gettin ANYTHING to do what they'd do for free?

No brainer
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg