The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 02:36 PM

dlndavid is on a distinguished road
Default Silicone lubricants as dry fly dressing

Can commercial grade silicone lubricants such as those made by Dupont or Liquid Wrench be used as a dry fly dressing? I've heard of it being used on wigs as a detangler.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:14 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Silicone lubricants as dry fly dressing

There was some discussion about it on a local forum with people claiming that they spray the silicone spray into a jar and dip they flies in it as they tie them then set them to dry.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:10 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Why not just spend a couple bucks and buy what is known to work?
A little goes a long way.
I spend far too much money getting to a fishery to pinch pennies on something as crucial as a fly floatant.
I by no means want this to come across as being mean. I'm just trying to understand why people risk experimenting with floatant and worse yet, fly line dressings.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Keeping a fly afloat is an age old problem and I've tried it all. The last pre fishing one I have is called 'Water Shed' and you put a drop on each fly as you finish them off in the vise. It seemed to help until the fly was either in service for extended time or gets slimed by a fish.

I use old products that when I found them and saw that they worked I bought enough to last a few decades. I use both when fishing dries; step one for a slimed or drowned fly is called 'Dry Shake' by Shimazaki. This is one of the fairly course dry crystal powders and I place a small amount in the palm and then rub the fly in it vigorously and I mean vigorously. This brings them back really well but if I were fishing to educated trout and nothing short of a high float with a good pattern would do I move to step two. Step two is Frogs Fanny, take the brush and stroke some of this really fine desiccant into the hackle, and body. Now don't drop either container into the water and get back to the fishing.

I learned to keep the floatants handy because when the catching was good you were dressing every couple fish. Seems like a lot of fussing around? Could be judged as such but I found it a small price to pay when the fish demanded a hi float. The concept and natural want for a one time treatment is understandable in our current societal need for great results and instant ones at that but somethings will not yield to the changing times.

That's the way I have been getting it done ever since the dry powders have been available. Prior to the powders I used Mucilin from the tin and got by with that but the powder made my catching better I think.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-05-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Why not just spend a couple bucks and buy what is known to work?
A little goes a long way.
I spend far too much money getting to a fishery to pinch pennies on something as crucial as a fly floatant.
I by no means want this to come across as being mean. I'm just trying to understand why people risk experimenting with floatant and worse yet, fly line dressings.
You are so mean.
The reason I asked is two fold.
1. I'm cheap.
and...
2. I'm cheap.
I used to make 80K a year, but with the economy, I make about half that now, so I will pinch pennies anywhere I can. (Don't tell my wife about the 5 high end fly rods and reels I just purchased in the last year.).
I have been tying flies all winter and was thinking the stuff they sell as fly dressing is nothing more than silicone in many cases. I have hundreds of dry flies to treat, so I was wondering if the items I mentioned, has anyone tried them.
If not, I will, and I will report back.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:39 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

ive had good luck using loon aquel floatant.

ARFE
Old 06-05-2011, 11:44 PM

Ok, that is a small container of silicone, what did you pay for it?
Can you break down the price per ounce for me?
Would it work to dress 200 flies at once?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:54 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i would recommend a 4 oz. vat of vasaline. just carry it in your vest pocket and apply as needed.

casey

ARFE
Old 06-06-2011, 01:04 AM

Does it come in spray form?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:16 AM

Test results just in.
Applied Gink to two dry flies size 20.
Applied Liquid Wrench Silicone lubricant to two dry flies size 20.
Let all dry for 30 minutes.
Dropped all four into a glass of cold water.
The two with silicone spray sank immediately.
The two with the Gink are still floating high and dry.
To answer my own question, the silicone lubricant spray doesn't work at all.
Case closed.