The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 10:57 PM

nsdrawbridge10 is on a distinguished road
Default cray fish

Hey guys I was at my local river today and I saw alot alot of cray fish. It got me wondering, with the number of them I saw they have to be a food source for a big fish. So I was wondering if anyone has ever used a cray fish pattern for trout.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:07 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cray fish

Crawdads are staples for big trout. At a certain size, trout will consider bugs a snack, whereas a crawdad will be a meal. One time I saw a guy gut out a Brown Trout after he gill hooked it. Inside its stomach were three crawdads.

The two patterns that I use the most are:

Tim Haddon's Dead Drift Crayfish

Click the image to open in full size.

Anderson's Papi Chulo (Papi Chulo = Bad @ss daddy)

Dennis

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 09-27-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:00 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nice patterns dennis!

ARFE
Old 06-19-2011, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've only ever tied one crayfish pattern and they were pretty realistic. I found the recipe for this in the September 1981 issue of Fly Fisherman Magazine and had no rest till I had tied so many that I still have a few that were not lost on the bottom of some pool too deep to wade.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

I made them with dyed hair too and drifted them like giant nymphs. I never caught what I would say was a huge fish on one but I caught some nice size trout and a few small mouth bass also.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-19-2011, 12:13 PM

nsdrawbridge10 is on a distinguished road

do you swing them, or strip them in like a bugger
Old 06-19-2011, 12:21 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsdrawbridge10 View Post
do you swing them, or strip them in like a bugger
In rivers, I fish crawdad patterns mostly in a dead drift. The whole idea is to get the crawdad pattern to tumble in the current.

In slower water, I will cast the "fly" upstream using a 200 grain integrated shooting head and strip the fly. I do not use this technique that often since most of the water that I fish is faster.

Dennis
Old 06-19-2011, 01:21 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Dennis, I'm with you on Tim's fly.
We mostly dead drift it with weight as well.
When water temps reach a certain happy spot, the crays molt. Here...in Aug/Sept.
When they do, their claws are light colored, and soft.....
Biggies can eat larger crays at this time. Big meal, big fish. Tim's pattern is considered a seasonal-tye pattern based on that small observation. Which is why we tye.
Places where fish don't see them much the takes are impressive, here due to home field pressures, they will still look at one, but often eat the little tidbit I sent with, instead. Small is safe.
I liken a cray, to the "milk billboard", you have to look.
Baby dads are a good pattern the rest of the year.
Ralph Cutters pattern, "The Goblin" also works well thrown up-stream, above a pool, then stripped as fast as humanly possible down-stream. (Ralph's tip.)
They can actually swim pretty fast when panicked.
I recommend using a 1-2x leader, and a strip set. Hang on.... Local smallies snack on them too.
Ard, killer pattern! Cool eyes.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 06-20-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:39 AM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough

I have had very good luck in the last couple of years using crawdad patterns for trout. I caught a rainbow last year that got me started using them. She was about 18" and while I was reviving her I noticed her sides were bulging and whatever she had eaten was pretty hard. The only thing I could come up with was that she had eaten at least two crawdads by the feel of it. I tied a few small ones to use with 4 wt rods and after some modifications came up with a pattern I'm happy with.

I tie them so the hook point is up using squirrel zonkers for the claws and a piece of foam tied to the shank of the hook, below the point. I cover the shank with dubbing, saddle hackle wrapped for legs, melted mono eyes and swiss straw for its shell back and tail with two lengths of rubber legs between the zonkers for antenna. With a dumbell weight tied on the opposite side of the hook near the eye, the foam makes it sit up at an angle like a crawdad defending itself when I pause after 3-4 shorts strips. Nothing too original but they work!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:33 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Everything eats crayfish. My pattern.
The recipe is posted here on the forum.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:45 AM

mdraft1 will become famous soon enoughmdraft1 will become famous soon enough

Do most of you guys weight your crayfish patterns?