The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 03:24 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sometimes the Fly Definitely Does Make a Difference

Last week I fished a small freestone creek from about 6:00-8:00PM. It hadn't rained in 2 weeks, it was low water, hot temps and the fish were holding deep; not feeding much and the rises, if any, were subtle, few and far between.

But, there were a couple of bugs in the air and they were cream caddis; about a #16. So, on went that fly and the casting exercise began. I covered most of the water that could possibly be covered from the banks along a nice run, but came up empty handed. Time to change flies.

On went a dry/dropper; sluggish fish, get the fly down to them, right? 3' dropper - nothing; 5' dropper - still nothing.

How about a meatball? Chernobyl Ant; #8, big, hairy, good action on the top of the water - might work. Nope.

Winged wet - no a bite!

Soft hackle (Stewart's Spider - almost always a fish-getter for me) - nada!

Enter the Batistou Special! This is a fly that J-P introduced me to about 3 months ago when we were fishing for Chubs and Dace in some of his home waters. It's similar to an ant pattern; black foam body, pinched mid-section, black hackle and a white indicator post (or hackle). The back of the foam is tied well down into the bend of the hook; which causes it to sit down in the water almost like an emerger. I think J-P posted a thread on this pattern a couple of months ago, but I couldn't find it or I would have added it as a link.

It was fish on!

I only had two Batistou Specials with me and after a good number of fish, I was out of them.

These were the first two Batistou Specials that I'd ever tied and I didn't do a very good job with them - but the fish didn't seem to mind at all.

Chubs, Dace and now finicky, lazy Summer trout - give me the Batistou Special and I'll be a happy camper!

Pocono
Old 08-08-2011, 03:36 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sometimes the Fly Definitely Does Make a Difference

I'll have to track down this pattern! Gotta love when you find just what the fish are biting, and even better when it's one of those super-patterns that works everywhere!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-08-2011, 03:37 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

a quick google seach threw up this as the first link

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

i was curious to see how it looked

Addicted To Vise
Old 08-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great fly indeed Allan...I know you need a good dozen in your box ....will tell Batistou about your post
Old 08-08-2011, 05:07 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

kind of looks like an ant. I suppose it depends on how large the fly is. What size was the fly you used?

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-09-2011, 06:29 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Silver, I think I tied it on a #14 dry fly hook, but I can't remember for sure.

J-P, what size do you usually tie the Batistou Special?

Pocono
Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Fulling Mill scorpion BL size 14(which is big for a 14)
Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

JP: That is a great looking pattern, I will have to tie some up.

Allan: Your post describes the fishing the New Fork River last weekend, virtually no hatches going on. We threw streamers, did some nymph fishing and some dry/dropper combos, not sure if anyone tried any ants or beetles.

Larry

Old 08-09-2011, 01:17 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Size 14 could certainly be taken for an ant. With the white wing, it could work for a flying ant as well.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy