The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Czech Nymphing

Frank, the stillwater comment was to the post a couple up, not to you. When I hi-stick, I usually have an indicatoe or just keep the line up off the water like you said, but I just follow the fly down. With C Nymphing you lead the fly.
I don't use my 20 grain flies when hi-sticking, I just use a regular weighted fly.
When I Chzech Nymph, I use the 20 grain on the bottom, then here we are only allowed two flies, I tie another nymph of scub about three feet up. (as I said Deep Fast Pools) I then literally pull the flies down stream either bouncing the bottom or dragging. More Dabbing then free float.
As I said, most people call it the same thing, but it really is different.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

We are basically talking about nymphing in any case. I personally Hi-stick using dryflies as well. So, it's a matter terminology and technique. Whether it be from the Czech Republic or here in the states. The ideal of nymphing in general is fishing a fly or multi fly rig, submerged with weighted flies either with shot or the weight of the fly. Hi-stiching or Czeching are just terminology in my mind and nymphing is the technque.

Just my opinion. Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 03-06-2007, 07:22 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Click on some of the sites that were posted early on in the thread if you want to know about Czech nymphing or Google it. Czech nymphing, Spanish nymphing are used, like said earlier, with a long rod, soft tip, same length leader as the rod usually, HEAVY flies to get down FAST, and thrown upstream and drug down thru the run. You do not high stick like that. Apples and oranges in styles, but close enough results.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:36 PM

troutbum20 is on a distinguished road

frank, sweetflies has a great new dvd that shows a couple of cabela reps who fished in europe ,tie some flies and descibe the method on the dvd.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:05 PM

madriverbrown is on a distinguished road

I'm with you. I've fished with a lot of people over the years and I've heard people call this very similar technique both Czech and High Sticking. Let's not make this an issue just remind our fellow anglers that some states limit the number of hooks per line so check your states regs. Thank You!
Old 03-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum20 View Post
frank, sweetflies has a great new dvd that shows a couple of cabela reps who fished in europe ,tie some flies and descibe the method on the dvd.

So we can agree to dis agree. The two nymphers from Cabela's are Lance Egan and Ryan Barnes. They showed me the difference.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:10 PM

troutbum20 is on a distinguished road

YES WITH CZECH NYMPHING YOUR ROD IS CLOSE TO THE WATER. AND YOU USE A LEVEL MONO LEADER.......... ANYBODY OUT THERE FISH NYMPHS WITH ALL LEVEL MONO. I AM TALKING MAYBE NO FLY LINE AT ALL. FISHING BY FEEL. ALMOST LIKE SALMON EGG FISHING WE USED TO DO HERE IN THE EAST. I GUESS THIS WAS DONE IN UTAH[?] BY THE OLD TIMERS. THE BOOK "SOME GUYS CATCH ALL THE FISH" TALKS A LOT ABOUT THIS. HE USES GOLDEN STREN. GETS THE FLY DOWN ESPECIALLY WHEN FISHING DROP OFFS OR DEEP HOLES. I AM GOING TO TRY IT THIS YEAR
Old 03-29-2008, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum20 View Post
YES WITH CZECH NYMPHING YOUR ROD IS CLOSE TO THE WATER. AND YOU USE A LEVEL MONO LEADER.......... ANYBODY OUT THERE FISH NYMPHS WITH ALL LEVEL MONO. I AM TALKING MAYBE NO FLY LINE AT ALL. FISHING BY FEEL. ALMOST LIKE SALMON EGG FISHING WE USED TO DO HERE IN THE EAST. I GUESS THIS WAS DONE IN UTAH[?] BY THE OLD TIMERS. THE BOOK "SOME GUYS CATCH ALL THE FISH" TALKS A LOT ABOUT THIS. HE USES GOLDEN STREN. GETS THE FLY DOWN ESPECIALLY WHEN FISHING DROP OFFS OR DEEP HOLES. I AM GOING TO TRY IT THIS YEAR

Yes on the level mono with a spinning rod, have used the slinky set-up on the bottom and a couple flies on droppers, don't have near the drag issues and can cover alot more water in a much shorter amount of time.

So would you folks consider this a form of flyfishing? or spin fishing?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-30-2008, 07:31 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

CN is not legal on my local waters....but High Sticking is....
Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGal View Post
CN is not legal on my local waters....but High Sticking is....

Why is it not legal. I understand maybe the fact the flies are very weighted, or the fact there are multiple hooks.
We can only use up to two hooks here, but you can still CN, thank gawd.