The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 09:29 AM
crabacle is on a distinguished road
Default Czech Nymphing

Any of you guys over in the States tried Czech Nymphing?
Old 03-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Re: Czech Nymphing

Why don't you explain Czech Nymphing to the forum membership?

Old 03-03-2007, 02:50 PM

Ok

It's a specific method of fishing for trout and grayling using a team of weighted flies on a short line. - It's a killer method - in the right circumstances.

Rather than explain it in detail - have a look at Czech Nymphing - What it's all about

That should make it clear.

It works for small and large fish alike - my best trout is 6lb using this method (which is a monster in small UK rivers).

Tight Lines!

It wou
Old 03-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Over here we would call it high stick nymphing. Especially good in smaller streams. When I high stick I use 2 flies and just fish the leader like they do in Czech Nymphing. My 9' 6" 5 weight works just fine for me.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:12 PM

troutbum20 is on a distinguished road

i have been czech nymphing for about 3 years. i do it in big and small streams. it can real deadly. the key is to use a non tapered or slightly tapered leaders. so i use all 5lb test or start with 8 and go down to 4. you need the line to cut the water and you need to feel some strikes. i use some czech nymphs up to size 8. if you hit a pod of fish on the bottom you could hook or land most because you stick the flies right in thier face.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:18 PM

troutbum20 is on a distinguished road

i am also starting this year to nymph with straight mono...no fly line .....suppposed to be really effective ......anybody else here of it/use it?
Old 03-04-2007, 02:52 AM

makubwa is on a distinguished road

I am still coming to grasps with the whole concept. Can it be used in large lakes etc?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:40 AM

You can use it in Lakes - but its' really designed for rivers.

The key is a constant control and connection with the flies, - you can detect the smallest bite (my record so far is a 1 inch long parr), if the line stops, hesitates, just looks abnormal it's usually a fish. - I once fished 2 miles of river downstream doing step.. cast.. step and had at least one hook up each run through.

Remember that the flies fish at the bottom - or just off - and that you are always in control of them. - Tapered leaders aren't really necessary as you aren't too worried about a gentle landing and unfurling of the line - what you are bothered about though is the correct presentation of the flies, - and always make a strike at the end of the run through.

Also - use fluorocarbon for your leaders - as it's nearly invisible in water. Don't worry too must about going too fine as you may snag regularly - but don't use a washing line for a leader either.

Finally the flies are the killers - and you will be surprised how small you can go and hook up the bigger fish.

If anybody needs any more help - you know where I am!
Old 03-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Over here we would call it high stick nymphing. Especially good in smaller streams. When I high stick I use 2 flies and just fish the leader like they do in Czech Nymphing. My 9' 6" 5 weight works just fine for me.

Frank, it really isn't high sticking. If anything it is Short Lining.
It is not done on stillwater, it is done on fast moving deep pooled rivers with VERY heavy flies. They also use up to 5 droppers, but in this case, the bottom flie is the very heavily weighted fly (NO SPLIT SHOT) with the others dangling off the leader, like tree branches.
By heavy flies, I mean this flies are weighed in grains and you can feel how heavy they are. You will be amazed as to how big of flie will catch fish. Huge scuds, that you would never think would work. You are dragging the fly across.
Alot of people have gotten confused on the difference between high sticking and Czech Nymphing.

Plus a 10 foot rod is really nice for this.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Frank, it really isn't high sticking. If anything it is Short Lining.
It is not done on stillwater, it is done on fast moving deep pooled rivers with VERY heavy flies. Alot of people have gotten confused on the difference between high sticking and Czech Nymphing.

Plus a 10 foot rod is really nice for this.
Hi Jonie,

You are confusing me, what does still water have to do with my comments? OK so they can Czech Nymph and I will High Stick Nymph using the same type of flies and the same technique. They use a high rod position, I use a high rod position . They fish just the leader, I fish just the leader. We can call it what ever but to my mind they are basically the same technique.

Frank