The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 04:24 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: Rotary Vise Question

I'm not big into tying yet but my Apex vise from Anvil has served me well. It doesn't have to have the midge jaws like the peak as a seperate purchase. I haven't tied size 32's but it claims to work down to a size 32.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:39 PM

monkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the roughmonkeyboy is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb Re: Rotary Vise Question

there has not been a reply to this thread for awhile?

how about the Dyna King Kingfisher? i found one in a Thrift store , it seems to be well made and holds a range of sizes.

i use the Peak Rotary , one of the finest tools i've ever tied on.

not much mention of the Regal line of vises.
a friend of mine has a half dozen Regal's, he likes 'em, but he acquired a vintage vise a few months ago and he's been tying Russian Rivers on it [ sz 2] ,.. so he put the Regal's under the bench for the time being.

mtcw

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory
Old 01-21-2012, 07:06 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

My first rotary was a Nor vise &I never got the hang of it. I then got a griffen & tied on that for quite a few years. A few years ago my wife got me a Renzeti Master & it's the best out there, but way overpriced. I know quite a few Tyler's that swear by the peak, & if I was in the market for one, I'd go with that. Either way look at the Nor retractable bobbin, it makes tying rotary style a heck of a lot easier & faster. I now own 2 of them & will probably get the third this week at the Somerset show
Old 01-23-2012, 04:31 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

It may be that whatever vise you use will not need spare parts like screws or a new head. I have an early Renzetti Master. I think it cost me about $450.00 about 18 years ago. I needed a part and Renzetti sent me an upgraded part.

One never considers whether the company will be in operation in 30 years. Even Abel discontinued their line of vises in 2008.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-23-2012, 08:58 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
It may be that whatever vise you use will not need spare parts like screws or a new head. I have an early Renzetti Master. I think it cost me about $450.00 about 18 years ago. I needed a part and Renzetti sent me an upgraded part.

One never considers whether the company will be in operation in 30 years. Even Abel discontinued their line of vises in 2008.
That's an interesting point that I never really gave much consideration to.

I can't say enough about my Peak. I've been using it for 3-4 years now and while not presentation quality, it's highly functional and nicely priced. If purchasing a new Peak, I highly recommend the D Arm attachment and also recommend the brass screws. The standard jaws cover a very wide range of flies, but I added a the midge jaws for tying very small flies since I seem to tie a good bit of those. I have, in a pinch, used the midge jaws on streamers though the standard jaws hold much better as you would expect. Basically when I am in a marathon tying session, I am too lazy to swap out the right jaws This one sits at my tying bench and hope it will be with me for a while. The build quality is excellent.

I picked up a Regal Traveler to take on overnight trips and for stream side tying. Not sure how long they have been making vises, though I have heard of people owning them for at least 20 years. These also seem to be love em or hate em. I prefer the Peak, but I'm guessing that I'm much more accustomed to it. Still a great vice that I have no regrets picking up.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:50 AM

trout333 is on a distinguished road

PEAK!

Solid rotary vise. I like all of the accessories and the interchangeable jaws. When a set of jaws goes bad, just pick up some new ones. Plus I get to support a local business. They're made in Loveland, Colorado which is just South of me here in Fort Collins.

Happy Tying!
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:35 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Beginner here myself, started on a $30 Cabelas special vise tied for a few months and upgraded to a Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose. Great warantee (like I would need it) and if you watch around it can be had on sale for $120 (paid $125 after shipping on Amazon).

Ive been using it on and off for 2 years now and the only thing I wish it had was Cam operated Jaws, I can buy a set but im cheap.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:04 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

LOL! When I first decided to learn to tie flies, I read and studied this tread and several others, read reviews, looked at vices in catalogs and shops, etc., all so that Ii could buy the "best" one for my needs and pocketbook. What I've actually learned is that the "what vice is the best vice" discussion is akin to listening to NA$CAR fans discussing Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or Toyota....

They all have merits, some are better at some things than others, and none are magic or miraculously instantly ties perfect flies.... And in the end, unless you are buying a Lamborghini (or Renzetti!), much of the decision comes down to personal preference.

BTW - I bought the Anvil Atlas, and have had no problems with it.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 04-08-2012, 06:59 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I have had a peak for 4 years now and tie alot of bigger flies from #2 up to 3/0 and the only problem i had was i snapped the pin on the lever that tightens the jaws (user error) but it was replaced no charge by peak with no questions asked. I can not compare it to anything else as the only other vise i have used was a cheap start up vise that came as part of a kit.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:42 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
LOL! When I first decided to learn to tie flies, I read and studied this tread and several others, read reviews, looked at vices in catalogs and shops, etc., all so that Ii could buy the "best" one for my needs and pocketbook. What I've actually learned is that the "what vice is the best vice" discussion is akin to listening to NA$CAR fans discussing Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or Toyota....

They all have merits, some are better at some things than others, and none are magic or miraculously instantly ties perfect flies.... And in the end, unless you are buying a Lamborghini (or Renzetti!), much of the decision comes down to personal preference.

BTW - I bought the Anvil Atlas, and have had no problems with it.

I know you were just speaking tongue in cheek, but it isn't quite fair to equate Renzetti to Lamborghini, is it??? Unless you buy the Master vise it really isn't that extravagantly priced or opulantly dressed. BMW, LEXUS maybe, it isn't a lamborghini. LAW vise = the Lamborghini of vises. Dyna King Barracuda = Ford King Ranch Edition F 350. The original poster probably made a purchase (or recieved his/her vise as a christmas gift) a while ago, but for anyone else trying to get a feel for good vises here's my take.

Even the cheap(er) renzetti, the traveller is a well built "tool". It will last, even though it is made light-weight, don't mistake that for light duty. The dyna king Trekker, barracude are workhorses that I also can find no flaws with. The Regals, I really wish they rotated (fully) because that spring open jaw is as easy as it gets and they are as solid as any other vise out there.