Rotary Vise Question

bass_man

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a rotary vise I do not want to spend more then $2oo bucks. I do not know anyone who tie's fly's so I guess tag my buds on this forum are it:wiggle:. I have a entry level vise now I will be only making fly's for myself not production stuff. I have a bad thumb on my right hand so wrapping the thread with the bobbin to make the dubbed body's is a pain. I was looking at rotary vise's to help me in this area. I have it down to either the Renzetti Cam Series Traveler Vise at $195.00 or the Griffin Montana Mongoose at $199.00. What is your guys take on this subject. Any and all comments are welcome. All so kind of new to trying.
THANK,
Bass Man (AKA Mike)

Jimmie

Reaction score
I tie on a Rezetti, and wouldn't trade for the world. Your investment with one would probably last a lifetime. That said there are so many good ones out there.
I'm pleased with my travel rotary vise which is a Danvise for under $100. Please let us know what you get.

littledavid123

Reaction score
I use the Peak and am very pleased with it. I am only a beginner but can find no fault in the vise. Please let us know what you decide.

Dave

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been using a Renzetti Traveler since the mid nineties. It is a very nice tool for making flies, stock jaw will hold from size 20 up to a 3/0 salmon hook. Operation is simple, I would say you can't go wrong there.

Ard

FlyBum

Reaction score
In that price range you cannot go wrong with either the Renzetti or the Griffin. If you haven't checked it out the Peak Vise its worth looking at as well. I've never used either, but I know much better tiers than I who have use all the above.

I absolutely LOVE my Regal Revolution, but it was rediculously expensive even after the discount I received.

mudbug

Reaction score
PEAK

I'm no expert at fly tying (Just about a year with my Peak), but after 20+ years as a carpenter I have a pretty good feel for quality in a hand tool (which is what a fly tying vice is)

I know many people like the Renzetti Traveler and the Griffin but they just don't feel as solid as the peak.

The HMH Spartan does feel solid but it's not a true rotary which may not mean much to you.

L

Liphookedau

Hi All.
Over the years I have made & used many Vises,at present I have six,like others I don't really get rid of any gear just acquire more.
I now mostly use one I made on a Lathe back in the eighties as well as a Dyna King & my latest one is an Atlas.
The Atlas was only $125 plus Shipping,it's a very well designed Vise,however some of the machining & tolerances were a little to be desired,however I corrected the problems & now have a beaut Vise which I mainly use to tie the smaller Flies as it has small strong finer Jaws than the two others.
Friends also have Renzetti's,Griffin's & Dyna King's,etc,as well as The El Cheapo Indian made ones,even though they aren't Rotary Vises they can still be used to tie good Flies.
I have found TheDyna King Vise has very strong Jaws & really hold the Hooks well,regardless of size,probably up there with the best of all Vises I have used.

bass_man

Reaction score
Rip Tide that was some eye opening reading THANKS TO ALL I will let everyone know what I decide on wife is looking for me for Xmas :wiggle:

jcw355

Reaction score
I'm not big into tying yet but my Apex vise from Anvil has served me well. It doesn't have to have the midge jaws like the peak as a seperate purchase. I haven't tied size 32's but it claims to work down to a size 32.

monkeyboy

Reaction score
there has not been a reply to this thread for awhile?

how about the Dyna King Kingfisher? i found one in a Thrift store , it seems to be well made and holds a range of sizes.

i use the Peak Rotary:D , one of the finest tools i've ever tied on.

not much mention of the Regal line of vises.:confused:
a friend of mine has a half dozen Regal's, he likes 'em, but he acquired a vintage vise a few months ago and he's been tying Russian Rivers on it [ sz 2] ,.. so he put the Regal's under the bench for the time being.

mtcw

buzz

FISHN50

Reaction score
My first rotary was a Nor vise &I never got the hang of it. I then got a griffen & tied on that for quite a few years. A few years ago my wife got me a Renzeti Master & it's the best out there, but way overpriced. I know quite a few Tyler's that swear by the peak, & if I was in the market for one, I'd go with that. Either way look at the Nor retractable bobbin, it makes tying rotary style a heck of a lot easier & faster. I now own 2 of them & will probably get the third this week at the Somerset show

silver creek

Reaction score
It may be that whatever vise you use will not need spare parts like screws or a new head. I have an early Renzetti Master. I think it cost me about $450.00 about 18 years ago. I needed a part and Renzetti sent me an upgraded part.

One never considers whether the company will be in operation in 30 years. Even Abel discontinued their line of vises in 2008.

jaybo41

Reaction score
It may be that whatever vise you use will not need spare parts like screws or a new head. I have an early Renzetti Master. I think it cost me about $450.00 about 18 years ago. I needed a part and Renzetti sent me an upgraded part.

One never considers whether the company will be in operation in 30 years. Even Abel discontinued their line of vises in 2008.
That's an interesting point that I never really gave much consideration to.

I can't say enough about my Peak. I've been using it for 3-4 years now and while not presentation quality, it's highly functional and nicely priced. If purchasing a new Peak, I highly recommend the D Arm attachment and also recommend the brass screws. The standard jaws cover a very wide range of flies, but I added a the midge jaws for tying very small flies since I seem to tie a good bit of those. I have, in a pinch, used the midge jaws on streamers though the standard jaws hold much better as you would expect. Basically when I am in a marathon tying session, I am too lazy to swap out the right jaws:p This one sits at my tying bench and hope it will be with me for a while. The build quality is excellent.

I picked up a Regal Traveler to take on overnight trips and for stream side tying. Not sure how long they have been making vises, though I have heard of people owning them for at least 20 years. These also seem to be love em or hate em. I prefer the Peak, but I'm guessing that I'm much more accustomed to it. Still a great vice that I have no regrets picking up.

trout333

Reaction score
PEAK!

Solid rotary vise. I like all of the accessories and the interchangeable jaws. When a set of jaws goes bad, just pick up some new ones. Plus I get to support a local business. They're made in Loveland, Colorado which is just South of me here in Fort Collins.

Happy Tying!

flyfisher117

Reaction score
Beginner here myself, started on a $30 Cabelas special vise tied for a few months and upgraded to a Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose. Great warantee (like I would need it) and if you watch around it can be had on sale for $120 (paid $125 after shipping on Amazon).

Ive been using it on and off for 2 years now and the only thing I wish it had was Cam operated Jaws, I can buy a set but im cheap.

fire instructor

Reaction score
LOL! When I first decided to learn to tie flies, I read and studied this tread and several others, read reviews, looked at vices in catalogs and shops, etc., all so that Ii could buy the "best" one for my needs and pocketbook. What I've actually learned is that the "what vice is the best vice" discussion is akin to listening to NA$CAR fans discussing Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or Toyota....

They all have merits, some are better at some things than others, and none are magic or miraculously instantly ties perfect flies.... And in the end, unless you are buying a Lamborghini (or Renzetti!), much of the decision comes down to personal preference.

BTW - I bought the Anvil Atlas, and have had no problems with it.

jimw

Reaction score
I have had a peak for 4 years now and tie alot of bigger flies from #2 up to 3/0 and the only problem i had was i snapped the pin on the lever that tightens the jaws (user error) but it was replaced no charge by peak with no questions asked. I can not compare it to anything else as the only other vise i have used was a cheap start up vise that came as part of a kit.

ausablebrown

Reaction score
LOL! When I first decided to learn to tie flies, I read and studied this tread and several others, read reviews, looked at vices in catalogs and shops, etc., all so that Ii could buy the "best" one for my needs and pocketbook. What I've actually learned is that the "what vice is the best vice" discussion is akin to listening to NA$CAR fans discussing Chevy, Ford, Dodge, or Toyota....

They all have merits, some are better at some things than others, and none are magic or miraculously instantly ties perfect flies.... And in the end, unless you are buying a Lamborghini (or Renzetti!), much of the decision comes down to personal preference.

BTW - I bought the Anvil Atlas, and have had no problems with it.

I know you were just speaking tongue in cheek, but it isn't quite fair to equate Renzetti to Lamborghini, is it??? Unless you buy the Master vise it really isn't that extravagantly priced or opulantly dressed. BMW, LEXUS maybe, it isn't a lamborghini. LAW vise = the Lamborghini of vises. Dyna King Barracuda = Ford King Ranch Edition F 350. The original poster probably made a purchase (or recieved his/her vise as a christmas gift) a while ago, but for anyone else trying to get a feel for good vises here's my take.

Even the cheap(er) renzetti, the traveller is a well built "tool". It will last, even though it is made light-weight, don't mistake that for light duty. The dyna king Trekker, barracude are workhorses that I also can find no flaws with. The Regals, I really wish they rotated (fully) because that spring open jaw is as easy as it gets and they are as solid as any other vise out there.