The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 AM

bass_man is on a distinguished road
Default Rotary Vise Question

I'm in the market for a rotary vise I do not want to spend more then $2oo bucks. I do not know anyone who tie's fly's so I guess tag my buds on this forum are it. I have a entry level vise now I will be only making fly's for myself not production stuff. I have a bad thumb on my right hand so wrapping the thread with the bobbin to make the dubbed body's is a pain. I was looking at rotary vise's to help me in this area. I have it down to either the Renzetti Cam Series Traveler Vise at $195.00 or the Griffin Montana Mongoose at $199.00. What is your guys take on this subject. Any and all comments are welcome. All so kind of new to trying.
THANK,
Bass Man (AKA Mike)
Old 09-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rotary Vise Question

Know many guys on the forum are very pleased with the Renzetti and the Peak you should have some comments about the Griffin...don't know it
Old 09-12-2011, 11:31 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I tie on a Rezetti, and wouldn't trade for the world. Your investment with one would probably last a lifetime. That said there are so many good ones out there.
I'm pleased with my travel rotary vise which is a Danvise for under $100. Please let us know what you get.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:10 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I use the Peak and am very pleased with it. I am only a beginner but can find no fault in the vise. Please let us know what you decide.

Dave
Old 09-12-2011, 01:26 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Fly Tying Vises In-Depth Review by Fly Fish Ohio!
Old 09-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I've been using a Renzetti Traveler since the mid nineties. It is a very nice tool for making flies, stock jaw will hold from size 20 up to a 3/0 salmon hook. Operation is simple, I would say you can't go wrong there.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

In that price range you cannot go wrong with either the Renzetti or the Griffin. If you haven't checked it out the Peak Vise its worth looking at as well. I've never used either, but I know much better tiers than I who have use all the above.

I absolutely LOVE my Regal Revolution, but it was rediculously expensive even after the discount I received.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:30 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

PEAK

I'm no expert at fly tying (Just about a year with my Peak), but after 20+ years as a carpenter I have a pretty good feel for quality in a hand tool (which is what a fly tying vice is)

I know many people like the Renzetti Traveler and the Griffin but they just don't feel as solid as the peak.

The HMH Spartan does feel solid but it's not a true rotary which may not mean much to you.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:22 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hi All.
Over the years I have made & used many Vises,at present I have six,like others I don't really get rid of any gear just acquire more.
I now mostly use one I made on a Lathe back in the eighties as well as a Dyna King & my latest one is an Atlas.
The Atlas was only $125 plus Shipping,it's a very well designed Vise,however some of the machining & tolerances were a little to be desired,however I corrected the problems & now have a beaut Vise which I mainly use to tie the smaller Flies as it has small strong finer Jaws than the two others.
Friends also have Renzetti's,Griffin's & Dyna King's,etc,as well as The El Cheapo Indian made ones,even though they aren't Rotary Vises they can still be used to tie good Flies.
I have found TheDyna King Vise has very strong Jaws & really hold the Hooks well,regardless of size,probably up there with the best of all Vises I have used.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:02 AM

bass_man is on a distinguished road

Rip Tide that was some eye opening reading THANKS TO ALL I will let everyone know what I decide on wife is looking for me for Xmas