The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 09:05 PM

fish_4_all is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Nymph

My best pattern for trout has always been a simple black oil bead, peacock herl body and peacock sword tail. I admit I have not caught anything on an actual fly rod with it but behind a casting bobber it has been killer since I started using them.

It always worked even better when a couple pieces of herl started to come undone from fish hitting it. 3-5 strands come loose and the big ones seemed to finally decide it was worth eating.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:13 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I use several patterns based on the tying techniques for Denny's stillwater nymph and have caught a ton of fish on them.

My mallard and peacock - there is an SBS here on how to tie it (add a black bead if you want)
olive maribou, peacock herl body, and a red grizzly hackle - close to Denny's but herl vice simi seal
rust maribou, peacock herl body, and a red grizzly hackle - close to Denny's but herl vice simi seal
tie the same as the mallard and peacock, but use gold antron for the body and add a white bead

Basically, I use the same technique for tying the 4 above but I change out the materials used to match what is hatching.

I also tie up an olive or bright green bodied nymph, gold rib, and a pheasant tail back, thorax is brown dubbing, and the tips from the back become legs tied back at a 45 degree angle.

For standard known nymph patterns, black bugger with crystal flash, shhep creek special, a hares ear, copper john, PTN, martis midge, and occasionally a damsel pattern when the hatch is on.

For dries, adams, BWO, EHC, stimulator

I have a ton of other flies i my box, but, these dozen or so flies usually work. If I am not catching fish on one of these it is most likely my technique, or I am not at the right depth, not usually the fly.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 PM

mike63 is on a distinguished road

Beadhead Flashback Pheasant Tail, Size 18.
madjoni likes this.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:21 PM

whitedice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by latshki View Post
this has happened to me before too, a guy was just landing fish after fish and I asked him what he was using, a nymph he tied from his dogs hair, but what ever works works

I like to use a simplified PTN and a combo fly of pheasant tail and hares ear, I think it's called a double standard if I'm not mistaken

I joke around about this. tell people im going to shave my dog to use for fly tying since I dont like paying for feathers.. Never actually considered it though
Old 08-28-2012, 07:49 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

Rainbow Warrior works everywere all the time.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:23 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Change the size of flies as well. Last summer I tied size 26 midge patterns and caught many fish.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:07 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post

I don't remember who, but a wise person once said that Most of what a trout eats is 5/8ths of an inch long and brown"
Chuck Rizzuto of the San Juan introduced me to the Chocolate emerger, a very simple pattern.

Click the image to open in full size.

Now someone has changed it a bit, given it a clever name called the "shop Vac" and it seems to have caught on.

mcnerney likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-29-2012, 12:13 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Silver,

The "Shop Vac" is listed in the Blue Ribbon Flies 2002 tying instructions. It was designed by Rowen Nyman who work for Craig before he went out on his own. He guides out of the Lost Fork Ranch and ties professionally for the Montana Fly CO...

Back in the day, this was the fly in the bins at BRF that was called the "Shop Vac":

HOOK: TMC 2487,Daiichi 1130, Dai-Riki 135 #16 - #20

THREAD: Abdomen, Danville 6/0, #47, Tobacco Brown

RIB: Fine or x-sm gold wire

WING: White Zelon...tie off with Uni 8/0 Black or Gordon Griffith's 14/0 Black

BEAD: Gold Brass, sized to hook

The first time I saw it tied with pheasant tail was by Normand Frechette:

Shop Vac

Kelley G. Glissmeyer added the peacock herl thorax:

Flyanglers Online - Fly Of The Week

Any of them work real good...

PT/TB
dhayden likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 09-05-2012, 08:29 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Chuck Rizzuto of the San Juan introduced me to the Chocolate emerger, a very simple pattern.

Now someone has changed it a bit, given it a clever name called the "shop Vac" and it seems to have caught on.

I just tied up a 1/2 doz each of the shop vac in sz 14 & 18 now all I need is a stretch of water to go stand in

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 10-09-2012, 06:59 AM

44runner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclecreek View Post
The prince is my favorite on the rivers and creeks i fish. Its like the parachute adams of wet flies
LOL....I couldn't agree more with this statement.