The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 02:27 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default This Fly Took A Beating;

Hi fly lovers,

You never hear much about me catching bunches of fish but trust me it's been a pretty good season for dragging fish in. I've been tying streamer flies and salmon flies for a long time and I have came to take pride in making good durable flies. Trying to take time to put a dab of cement here & there, and good tight thread wraps go a long ways toward making a fly that will take some punishment. Every now and then a fly starts to come undone or simple gets torn up by fish. Happily I've found enough fish the past two days that they pretty well shredded up a fly.

This is what the Jock O' Dee from the Tie Along thread looked like when I tied it.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

It was a Dee wing pattern, not perfect but OK;

Over the past two days the fly caught 3 Char, several dozen Grayling, 6 Rainbow Trout, and 1 Coho Salmon. When I say several dozen grayling that means I don't know how many were caught. The Grayling took the flies all day both days, sometimes every cast.

By 2:00 PM today (Friday 9/30/2011) the old Jock O' Dee was looking pretty bad. I think it may have kept on catching fish until it was back to a bare hook but I changed it at this point.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-01-2011, 03:45 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: This Fly Took A Beating;

An old fella I fish with sometimes for salmon says the fish go for the beat up flies quicker than for the mint condition flies. I can't imagine hooking that many fish in that short of time. As I said before, you live in paradise! That's good fishing.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:06 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Flies cant last forever
Old 10-01-2011, 08:14 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Great fly, Ard! It deserves going to the old flies home.
Gary
Old 10-01-2011, 09:40 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

ard,
nice looking fly, before and after
it deserves a home in the bill of your cap or a piece of driftwood

casey

ARFE
Old 10-01-2011, 10:11 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Umpqua fly designer, Andy Burk, was at the shop a few years back. He tied a perfectly proportioned Bird's Nest. Then he took a brush and roughed it up.

Here's my before and after shots of a beater.

Before
Click the image to open in full size.

After
Click the image to open in full size.

I'd love to see more beat up flies.

Dennis
Old 10-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Dennis,

if you would have been with me yesterday early evening (about 5:00 - 6:15 PM) you could have gave it a beating. There was a very heavy bi-hatch of caddis and some very small stones. The flats came alive with Grayling & Char with average size about a foot. If I drug my 'new' fly across the surface they would come sailing right out of the water trying to grab it. I was using a 13' rod and a #6 wet fly and searching for their larger relatives. Based on what I've caught and those who came off the hook but not before I got a glimpse of them, I figure there are some 16 inch or larger grayling in the river.

I don't know a whole lot about this species (Grayling) but I'm learning. Like everything else here the first thing is to learn their preferred water conditions. You can fish a mile of river and catch nothing (how would I know.....) and suddenly you hit a stretch where you catch 20 fish. Not an accident that they are all in the same area, and I can't help but to think there are some big ones around.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:06 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like fun. Now if I could afford an airline ticket.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Apparently COLOR does matter; I replaced the torn up Jock O' Dee with a version of Ard's Nine three (no picture of it) it had an olive silk, tinsel wrapped body, black Spey hackle and olive green feather wings. I swung and swam that fly for 20 minutes with only one bump. So I started looking for another fly hackled similar to the J O' Dee. I selected this Carron style tie, the red body had little to do with effectiveness, I think it was the combination of the gray hackle and the wing / collar that was doing the business.

With the new fly secured to the leader I continued to catch fish until it was time to start the hike back to the car.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Ard you should get on well with Nico...he uses his flies till they're completely destroyed...sometimes they're better than when they were brand new
Nice fly Dennis