The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 03:01 PM

flyfishingjack is on a distinguished road
Default Would plastic lures work on fly gear?

Would this work well on fly gear? What weight? Don't want to carry my spinning rig with me along with the fly rig.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would plastic lures work on fly gear?

It should work...if they're not too heavy but mouse fly patterns will be better and easier to cast I think.Some members posted great mouse patterns on the forum
Old 10-06-2011, 03:55 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Ick. If they are designed to be cast with a bait caster or spin gear I can't imagine it would be very fun to cast with a fly line. Maybe a 7 or 8 weight.

Why not just get some nice spun hair mouse flies if you want to fish mice patterns?

Personally, casting a rubber lure...I don't even want to think about it!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:15 PM

flyfishingjack is on a distinguished road

cause i'm cheap and plastic lures are sooooooo much cheaper than these fancy mouse pattern flies.

I really need to learn how to tie my own flies to save some $$
Old 10-06-2011, 04:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The Arbogast fly rod Hula Poppers are about $2.50 at most bait and tackle shops and on the web.
A much, much better choice. Those big weedless mice will be hard to cast.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:32 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

This seller has auctions on bass bugs often if you save a search or keep checking back you can get them for under $2.00 each sometimes.

Bass Fly - 2 Becca's Bugs - (#6) | eBay
Old 10-07-2011, 05:27 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

You could try to cast that with a fly line, the mouse is heavy and I feel that you might just be smacking yourself in the head with it. There are lots of small warm water weedless floaters available cheaply at a couple of well known online stores. Theres also foam trailers with legs that are used for fish attractant on some bass lures.

Rick
Old 10-07-2011, 06:06 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I like using plastic frogs, but do so with baitcasting tackle.

Besides the weight issue & casting difficulties, the hooks in those types of plastics are pretty stout too, and would be difficult to get a good hook set with a fly rod, unless you were using an 11 or 12 wt, and 20lb test tippet or heavier. Likely overkill for most fly rod bass! Those double hooks are hard enough to get a hook set with heavy baitcasting tackle!

I agree with these folks, there are inexpensive flies available that will work as well as those plastics if you look for them!

Check Albright Fly Fishing's website. I've never purchased from them, but they have some decent looking bass flies, ( the pictures look good, I've never seen their flies) all priced at $9.48 per dozen! That's a real good price if the flies are any good!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-08-2011, 07:12 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Would plastic lures work on fly gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishingjack View Post
I really need to learn how to tie my own flies to save some $$
Read this and laughed so hard I choked. "Say away from the Dark Side Young Skywalker .... you have been warned."

'Father'
Old 10-08-2011, 07:26 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Fred, I just smiled when I read that!

Little does he know!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!