The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 05:10 PM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road
Default inverted flies without much weight?

I'm looking to tie some flies but would lkke the hook to be on top, though i would like to use as little weight as possible. What are the best methods to do this
Old 10-06-2011, 06:36 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: inverted flies without much weight?

pull chain from a ceiling fan instead of lead eyes. color them to your liking w/ nail polish
Old 10-07-2011, 08:05 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I think we need to know what type of fly you're thinking about
Dries? Nymphs? Streamers?
And how large. Small trout? Pike?

LaFontaine Dancing Caddis

Click the image to open in full size.

Jig nymphs

Basic bend back streamer

3/0 Bendback diver

Sluggo leach bendback

Bendback with a rattle

Old 10-07-2011, 06:28 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Rip Tide posted some superb examples! Plastic worm hooks can be used for large streamers to get the inverted attitude you're looking for without adding weight.

Check out the website of Capt Chris Newsome, who is a guide on the lower Chesapeake Bay. He has a link to fly tying on his site under "Articles & Lessons", & there you'll see some examples of flies tied on worm hooks. Chris is quite a talented fly tyer too!

Here's the URL of his website: "www.bayflyfishing.com"

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I used to run the state pay-to-fish ponds.
Anyone that was paying attention would fish a marabou jig fly that imitated the aquatic worms that were so prolific in the ponds. You could dredge your hand through the bottom muck and come up with dozens of them.
The flies were nothing more than the smallest jig heads with a sparse marabou tail.
Different colors worked on different days.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:06 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

For a fly to ride point up, the fly must be weighted so that the greatest mass of the hook and fly is BELOW the mid plane of the hook. The more off center the mass, the greatest the tendency of the fly to ride point up. Unfortunately, you want to minimize adding weight, but this is exactly what causes the fly to flip point up. You are really limiting what you can do. It is like asking how to make an omelet without breaking the egg.

One method is to bend and shape the hook so that the shank of the hook is below the centerline and the angle of pull on the fly lines up with the hook point. Secondly, use a heavy hook so the mass of the shank is will flip the fly more easily. Notice that the bottom hook has been bent to shape and also that the hook point is offset to the side to improve hookups.

To further off set the weight you can wrap lead only around the offset shank and you can put on lead eyes on the side of the hook opposite the hook point.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-27-2011, 02:30 AM

thanks for all the replies guys. The type of fish I am going for are northern pike and if they bite, walleye. I want it tk be hook up because there seems to be a lot more hidden sunken trees that are pretty invisible because of the muddy/sandy water in the river.
I did go to the local outdoors store today which has a wide variety of hooks and though I did find a lot of those hooks that have a downward curve, I also did find some you weighted jig hooks, which came in a 50 pack rather than a 3 or 4 pack so I picked up a box. Tied some up and i,m gonna try them tomorrow. If all goes well in terms of them actually always being point up and cast well, I think I'll be tying up a lot more in this configuratiom
Old 10-27-2011, 05:49 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

And I did some basics on the JIG hooks

Old 10-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjchar View Post
I'm looking to tie some flies but would lkke the hook to be on top, though i would like to use as little weight as possible. What are the best methods to do this
I fly fish for Walleye and Pike a lot. I have never worried about the hook pointing up on Pike flies. For Walleye I do. I use clousers most of the time. In fact till this Fall which has been a really odd one, it's pretty much all I ever used. The flies I'm using for Walleye this Fall have no weight and the point rides down. If I wanted to make it ride up and keep the weight to a minimum I would use a swimming nymph hook and put a small amount of lead wire in the 'bottom' of the bend of the hook. Maybe cover it with crystal flash and a light epoxy or head finish coating.

My best flies for Pike are the Reynold's Pike fly and the Dahlberg Mega diver. (weed gaurds on them)

Best flies for Walleye are the Clouser and a leech tied with black marabou clouser style.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:09 PM

very cool flies. Is there a reason to NOT tie wet flies on a point up hook? Perhaps the slight cocking action they might have when stripping?