The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 07:06 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Old Flies

What does everyone do with their old flies and streamers? Seems like a waste to just throw them away when so many still have good hooks and possibly a bead or eyes to salvage. Are these thoughts categorizing me as being cheap or prudent, and this post, sound like Andy Rooney wrote it? I have a pile of flies now gathering dust on the base of my fly tying lamp. They should be thrown away but winter is coming and there is the off chance I will get around to stripping them.

How about old fly leaders, anyone ever save the butts to make streamer leaders? Perhaps we need a "Tips From Heloise" post where we can all share our prudent ideas as Fysh did in his "old waders" post, or at least include it in the 10 steps to recovery program!!!

Dave
Old 10-09-2011, 07:10 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Old Flies

Unless a fly has done unusual duty and deserves a dignified retirement somewhere in the mess that is my cave, I take a razor blade to flies that have done their duty and give the hook new life. Hooks are too expensive to have only one life, said the guy who hasn't worked in almost a year.

Leader butts? Really, Andy, get a grip.
Gary
Old 10-09-2011, 09:24 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I will, once in a while, take a razor to old flies and unravel them. If they have beads, definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Leader butts? Really, Andy, get a grip.
Gary, I couldn't have said it any better! Hilarious!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:49 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I like to give new life to old hooks (and beads, as well).

If you choose to use old hooks, check for rust.

Dennis
Old 10-10-2011, 12:21 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I'll cut them off the hook, and retie especially if they have a beadhead. It's either that or give them away but never toss. Just can't seem to toss with the price of hooks now.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:59 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Sorry about this one Gary, but I recycle the butt ends of leader to make articulated streamers, since I haven't picked up a spool of heavy test or suitable wire. I don't know if this is madness or ingenuity or laziness or forgetfulness, but it has worked so far. WHile I'm new to fly fishing, I have recovered some unraveling egg patterns and the hooks and dumbbell eyes from clousers that got beat up by toothy fish. So yes! I just recycle them as the damage occurs, that way I don't end up with a big stack of to-be-recycled flies.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-10-2011, 10:06 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I have shortened some old 9 foot trout leaders to use as American Shad leaders.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:10 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use hand tied leaders and re-work them all the time.
No reason not to.

As for the flies, I have boxes of worn-outs, uglies, and many that were just bad ideas. Often I'll pick through them and tie only on used hooks. I'll even reuse materials, especially synthetic hair.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Dave,

There is a "Tricks to Share" thread > Little tricks to share I don't know if you had ever spotted that one so I stuck it on board. I've reused hooks before and like Rip Tide I just keep reconsturcting leaders on the same butt section. The thread I posted is full of crafty tips that members have posted.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-10-2011, 01:58 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

OK, OK, it's true, I also re-do my atlantic salmon leaders from the the tippet or first section above the tippet all the time. I tie my own out of Maxima Chameleon. I don't do that with my store-bought trout/bass leaders. I just leave those on the riverbank. THAT'S A JOKE, KIDS!!!
Gary