The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: small minnow patterns

Have you looked at Keith Flusher's Thunder Creek Minnow patterns? If I were looking for light with plenty action I would be tying a thin yarn body (your choice of color) and adding what was always called golden edged badger saddle hackles in the length I needed to make a castable fly. I could see these working up to 3" on a 3 weight set up. The fly will not look too fancy but with 4 or more saddles the action will drive a good bass to drink.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Have you looked at Keith Flusher's Thunder Creek Minnow patterns? If I were looking for light with plenty action I would be tying a thin yarn body (your choice of color) and adding what was always called golden edged badger saddle hackles in the length I needed to make a castable fly. I could see these working up to 3" on a 3 weight set up. The fly will not look too fancy but with 4 or more saddles the action will drive a good bass to drink.

I have a version of the Thunder Creek Minnow using Congo Hair (EP Fiber copy). The cool thing about congo hair is that very little of it makes a good sized profile in the water, the bad thing is that it doesn't have much bulk for the head so I tie in a few wraps of chenille behind the hook eye for the congo hair to go over to create the head.

I just didn't mention in my first post because it's kinda hard to describe.

I'll tie up a few small buck tail versions to try though.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:38 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Thank you guys for your input but I feel I need to clarify something.

I understand that panfish are not as likely to eat the minnow flies I'm looking for, I just want something that might attract bass that I can toss with my 3 wt if I want.

So I'm looking for light weight minnow imitations with with low wind resistance.
I think I have the fly you need. You can tie a scaled down version of Steve Farrar's peanut bunker. The fly is tied in a series of bendbacks alternating above and below the hook. The same way the tail is tied on the Simiseal leach video you posted. Use simiseal fibers for the whole fly. When it's done it will look like this, only much smaller
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 10-24-2011, 10:25 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I think I have the fly you need. You can tie a scaled down version of Steve Farrar's peanut bunker. The fly is tied in a series of bendbacks alternating above and below the hook. The same way the tail is tied on the Simiseal leach video you posted. Use simiseal fibers for the whole fly. When it's done it will look like this, only much smaller
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...117_230014.jpg

I tried making a small one with congo hair but it was kinda bulky, I love the idea of using simiseal, thank you. I'll make up a few.

what size hook is that?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

That's a 2/0 circle hook.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
That's a 2/0 circle hook.

Thanks.

I was just gonna try one with a #2 Gamakatsu SC15. I'll see how it works.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

As Riptide suggested, a bendback is pretty ideal for giving a big profile without much weight.

These are tied on a size 1 Mustad 34011 hook, but I tie smaller ones on a sz 6 and throw them easily on my 3wt.

Click the image to open in full size.

The head is ice dubbing spun into a one inch loop and picked out. Eyes go on pretty easily with gel-type superglue. (the liquid version wicks into the fibers too quickly)

Switch from doll eyes to 3D holo eyes to help them sink better, and you can also add lead wire onto the belly.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
As Riptide suggested, a bendback is pretty ideal for giving a big profile without much weight.

These are tied on a size 1 Mustad 34011 hook, but I tie smaller ones on a sz 6 and throw them easily on my 3wt.

Click the image to open in full size.

The head is ice dubbing spun into a one inch loop and picked out. Eyes go on pretty easily with gel-type superglue. (the liquid version wicks into the fibers too quickly)

Switch from doll eyes to 3D holo eyes to help them sink better, and you can also add lead wire onto the belly.
Cliff,

With no weight added do they swim hook up or down? With a small hook I'm guessing the bucktail keeps it hook up?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

My favorite minnow imitator is the good old gold ribbed muddler minnow. I tie them in white, natural(tan), and black.

I also really like the an old pattern called the Supervisor.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Cliff,

With no weight added do they swim hook up or down? With a small hook I'm guessing the bucktail keeps it hook up?
You're correct!

One thing to be careful of is to not make them too sparse. Since the bucktail helps them ride hook point up both due to flotation and resistance, too little is a bad idea.

Another tip on bendbacks is to set the total length to be no more than 50% past the bend of the hook. This will reduce fouling.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.