The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 04:52 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default What would one call this ugly thing...

So I tied up a fly reminiscent of a highlighter last night, basically just tying mats on as I went, with a basic general intent. It looks like this in the vise:
Click the image to open in full size.
While after a steelhead munching on it, it looks like this:
To me, it's like a bugger variant with a wing and a BSed soft hackle, but I was wondering if there is a name for a fly that looks like this. I can't complain though, it caught a fish, and my first steelhead on a fly rod for that matter!

Thanks guys!
theboz likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-25-2011, 05:17 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni
Default Re: What would one call this ugly thing...

Cant say anything about name but I sure like it
Old 10-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

It obviously works well, just give it a name, you might have a famous fly someday!

Larry

Old 10-25-2011, 05:21 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody that ties their own flies has a box of....
Most of them don't look as good as that one
Old 10-25-2011, 05:44 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Oh no, now I have to come up with a witty name for it? Until further notice, I will dub it the "Ellicott Special," as that is where it caught its first fish.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-25-2011, 06:05 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Fire bugger!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:33 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The way I see it is that you can name the fly whatever you want until you find something published.

I like your reasoning behind the name. Ellicott Special is very suitable.

Dennis
Old 10-25-2011, 06:50 PM

The Ellicott Special it will remain, until I am told otherwise! And here's six more, including a new color pattern.
I'm going to tie three in white and red and three in black and blue next.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:53 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i would call that a Flaming Success....SBS required.

Great job.

Addicted To Vise
Old 10-26-2011, 12:27 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I'm going to tie three in white and red and three in black and blue next.
Excellent combination of colors