Crosscut Squirrel?

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Pab1-

I haven't seen any X cut squirrel strips- (just rabbit). If you really need it you'd have to buy a whole skin and cut it yourself-- that said, you probably won't need it for most patterns and can just wrap a collar with the same strips you use for the tail.

For example this Slumpbuster was tied with the same lengthwise cut strips for the tail/body and collar:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-patterns/60468-slumpbuster.html?ltr=S

pab1

Reaction score
Thanks peregrines. I love slumpbusters and tie them the same way. A "new" beadhead pattern I'm tying would work better with crosscut though. I saw some micro cut squirrel that may work a little better than the standard squirrel I have now. If that doesn't work I'll have to try cutting my own.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Seems like I've seen it but maybe not. I know that I've seen "Slumpbusters" with short collars. The ones that I tie are all too long. I like the slumpbuster too. It's my "go to" in swift current.

tpcollins

Reaction score
What are the different characteristics between a squirrel zonker versus rabbit?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks peregrines. I love slumpbusters and tie them the same way. A "new" beadhead pattern I'm tying would work better with crosscut though. I saw some micro cut squirrel that may work a little better than the standard squirrel I have now. If that doesn't work I'll have to try cutting my own.
If you can't find it online, the best way I have found to cut hides is with a rotary cutter (like the quilters use for cutting fabric).
I did find this reference on the Fly Tying World site, this was tied by Bill Charles:

Hook: TMC 5263 or 5262 #10-12.
Thread: Olive 6/0.
Tail: Olive grizzly mini-marabou (aka: chickabou).
Body: Crosscut olive dyed Pine Squirrel.
Head: Gold bead.

Note: I love the look and action that cross-cut fur wrapping gives to Pike/Bass flies but the hair length of the commonly used rabbit fur makes it unsuitable for smaller flies. I found that Pine squirrel fur is just the right length for size 8 to 12 streamers. It is not available, as far as I know, in crosscut strips so you have to make your own.
This is by far my most productive streamer pattern and has saved many a day.

Last edited:

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
tpcollins-- the hair on a squirrel zonker type strip is much shorter and finer than rabbit and the hair is not quite as soft. Squirrel strips also tend to be cut thinner than rabbit strips-- and squirrel is often available in "micro strips" thinner than 1/8" wide. In addition to the smaller profile, squirrel doesn't pick up as much water as the longer softer rabbit fur so patterns tend to be a bit easier to cast.

On patterns like a Slumpbuster, especially on smaller sized hooks like 10's and 8's with a squirrel strip for the body/tail and a wound strip of squirrel used in a collar, the shape ends up looking a lot like a sculpin, with a wide head and slender tail. If the same fly was tied using rabbit strips in those sizes it would end up looking more like a meatball because of the longer hair.

silver creek

Reaction score

tpcollins

Reaction score
Thanks Peregrines - so if I'm wanting to strip larger leech patterns on tubes that will sink down to holding Salmon then I should stick with rabbit. Good to know, thanks.

monkeyboy

Reaction score
Pab1-

I haven't seen any X cut squirrel strips- (just rabbit). If you really need it you'd have to buy a whole skin and cut it yourself-- that said, you probably won't need it for most patterns and can just wrap a collar with the same strips you use for the tail.

For example this Slumpbuster was tied with the same lengthwise cut strips for the tail/body and collar:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-patterns/60468-slumpbuster.html?ltr=S
hey peregrines,
i'm back. after my new computer crashed or went senile,:eek: i'm back on line.:cool:

trying to think of a interesting easy to tie pattern.
this slumper looks good. i got probably a half dozen squirrels skinned out and ready to go, so...

anyway, looking forward to tying something.:D

peregrine, i'll send a personal note

thanks for posting

buzz

buzz