The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 03:19 PM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough
Default Crosscut Squirrel?

Does anyone know where I can get crosscut squirrel zonkers?
Old 10-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crosscut Squirrel?

Pab1-

I haven't seen any X cut squirrel strips- (just rabbit). If you really need it you'd have to buy a whole skin and cut it yourself-- that said, you probably won't need it for most patterns and can just wrap a collar with the same strips you use for the tail.

For example this Slumpbuster was tied with the same lengthwise cut strips for the tail/body and collar:

Slumpbuster
Old 10-29-2011, 07:30 PM

pab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the roughpab1 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks peregrines. I love slumpbusters and tie them the same way. A "new" beadhead pattern I'm tying would work better with crosscut though. I saw some micro cut squirrel that may work a little better than the standard squirrel I have now. If that doesn't work I'll have to try cutting my own.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:54 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Seems like I've seen it but maybe not. I know that I've seen "Slumpbusters" with short collars. The ones that I tie are all too long. I like the slumpbuster too. It's my "go to" in swift current.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:30 AM

tpcollins is on a distinguished road

What are the different characteristics between a squirrel zonker versus rabbit?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

i'm almost certain i saw this in an online store. If i can find it again i'll let you know

Edit:

NO luck.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab1 View Post
Thanks peregrines. I love slumpbusters and tie them the same way. A "new" beadhead pattern I'm tying would work better with crosscut though. I saw some micro cut squirrel that may work a little better than the standard squirrel I have now. If that doesn't work I'll have to try cutting my own.
If you can't find it online, the best way I have found to cut hides is with a rotary cutter (like the quilters use for cutting fabric).
I did find this reference on the Fly Tying World site, this was tied by Bill Charles:

Click the image to open in full size.
Hook: TMC 5263 or 5262 #10-12.
Thread: Olive 6/0.
Tail: Olive grizzly mini-marabou (aka: chickabou).
Body: Crosscut olive dyed Pine Squirrel.
Head: Gold bead.

Note: I love the look and action that cross-cut fur wrapping gives to Pike/Bass flies but the hair length of the commonly used rabbit fur makes it unsuitable for smaller flies. I found that Pine squirrel fur is just the right length for size 8 to 12 streamers. It is not available, as far as I know, in crosscut strips so you have to make your own.
This is by far my most productive streamer pattern and has saved many a day.
sumojo likes this.

Last edited by mcnerney; 01-05-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:21 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Wapsi sells dyed whole soft tanned squirrel skins:

http://www.wapsifly.com/pdffiles/wap/page%2016.pdf

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

tpcollins-- the hair on a squirrel zonker type strip is much shorter and finer than rabbit and the hair is not quite as soft. Squirrel strips also tend to be cut thinner than rabbit strips-- and squirrel is often available in "micro strips" thinner than 1/8" wide. In addition to the smaller profile, squirrel doesn't pick up as much water as the longer softer rabbit fur so patterns tend to be a bit easier to cast.

On patterns like a Slumpbuster, especially on smaller sized hooks like 10's and 8's with a squirrel strip for the body/tail and a wound strip of squirrel used in a collar, the shape ends up looking a lot like a sculpin, with a wide head and slender tail. If the same fly was tied using rabbit strips in those sizes it would end up looking more like a meatball because of the longer hair.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:52 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

J.Stockard has Squirrel Strips 3/32" item # nm-770033 in 8 colors.