The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 10:23 AM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Best online fly shop

I've used the Fly stop several times and am really impressed with them. Their website is very easy to use and easy to order. Flies are very nice, very wide selection, and very affordable. Excellent selection of Hoppers, also. Check 'em out!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:03 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

x2 for Casters fly shop. Great selection and service with free shipping to boot.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:05 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the suggestions thus far, I haven't tried them but will have to investigate. Since you're shopping for flies specifically...

I've used The Fly Stop many times and almost exclusively and have been happy. They ship from a location very nearby from where I am. There are some flies that hold up better than others, but given the price I can live with it. Fast shipping, good customer service. I also tie, so what I buy online is to supplement my supply as well as pick up bugs that I'd rather not spend time tying or simply don't have time for. I tie for me and my bud.

I fish Wisconsin for trout, not often but I've got this strategy. I tie what I can---Scuds, Pheasant Tails, Zebra Midges, Brassies, Caddis Larva, and a leech pattern or two, various bead head patterns and then supplement my boxes with flies that I pick up from online shops as well as a shop local to my destination. Even though they add up, regionally tied or designed flies can't be beat, and always good to support a true fly shop. You should probably pick yourself up some pink squirrels too
Old 12-08-2011, 10:32 AM

team7x is infamous around these parts

Fishing Flies / Trout Flies / Discount Flies - Your Fly Fishing and Equipment Superstore!

The emerger patterns are particularly effective in brown and black

team7x.com
Old 01-01-2012, 01:05 PM

tennesseeflies is on a distinguished road

Free First Class shipping is available on orders of $25 or more.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:16 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

How in the world can anyone sell flies for $0.54? It doesn't seem possible to pay a person to tie flies and sell at a profit at that rate. A decent hook costs about 25 cents, these are obviously not tied on decent hooks, the question is just how crappy are theses hooks?

I know flies are expensive. I rarely buy them and hate it when I have to. But you get what you for. I would not want to stock my boxes with 50 cent flies. Cheap hooks break easily and cheap ties unravel quickly.

If you want to buy quality yet affordable (not cheap) flies, tied in the US take a look at troutflies.com. There are often good sales, and the patterns offered are from some of the best tiers...I surf the site just look at patterns and get ideas, I just like the site a lot, and believe in their mission -- "The long and the short of it is this, the fish don't care if your reel is a six hundred dollar single bar stock of titanium or your rod is the state of the art carbon fiber or if you spent four digits getting to the waters edge. They will notice, for certain, the fly you tie on the end of your tippit."

Last edited by dean_mt; 01-01-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-12-2012, 03:38 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
"The long and the short of it is this, the fish don't care if your reel is a six hundred dollar single bar stock of titanium or your rod is the state of the art carbon fiber or if you spent four digits getting to the waters edge. They will notice, for certain, the fly you tie on the end of your tippit."
Right on!

FWIW, I just ordered $75-worth of bass flies at Miller's. They look like a decent place. I'll flesh out my trout flies at the site you gave us, Dean. Thanks, everyone, for the recommendations.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:39 AM

blazer75 is on a distinguished road

FYI, troutflies.com has a message that states

"Due to health issues I have had befall me latley I will be unable to fullfill any orders for what I am being told is a month or so.

Harry"