The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Flies

Flies Questions about flies. What flies work and don't work. Complete fly talk...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 12:14 AM

dans89 is on a distinguished road
Default Help with rotary vise decision.

Trying to decide between the Danvise and the Griffin Odyssey Spider.

Cabela's: DanVise New-Classic Vise

Cabela's: Griffin Odyssey Spider Vise

Any thoughts, reviews, or suggestions?
Old 12-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with rotary vise decision.

If it were me, I would go with the Griffith because you can add a base to it when there is nothing to clamp on.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:33 AM

I'm not really too concerned about that aspect. The vise will probably be used exclusively at my desk...
Old 12-18-2011, 12:35 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I think I would still go with the Griffith. What about add ons, like post holders, different jaws.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:23 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I don't know anything about the Griffen, but Here is another thread asking almost the same question
Old 12-18-2011, 01:40 AM

So it seems that neither vise has any real add-ons. I keep seeing mixed reviews on both....

EDIT: Looks like I'll be going with the Griffin. I am seeing mostly bad reviews for the Danvise. And now that I think about it, a base would be nice

Last edited by dans89; 12-18-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:21 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

The Apex Anvil costs a little more and has a base and clamp mount. The jaws will handle some pretty small hooks too. I think the paper work said down to a 32 but I've never tied that small and can't say. I've tied 24's in mine but nothing smaller. I just put a size 28 midge in it to see how it holds and it is fine. Also it is a rotating vise.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:54 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't rule out the Renzetti Traveler. I have one and use it most of the time.

I also watched Norlander use his Norvise at last year's Summit NJ Fly Fishing show. It's an impressive rotary vise!

Pocono
Old 12-18-2011, 08:34 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Like jcw355, above, I did my research and bought the Anvil Atlas . The DanVice seems to get good initial reviews, but reading posts by long-time users, I got the impression that the non-metal parts on the DanVice begin to fail.

I read a couple of reviews that refered to the Anvil products, both the Atlas and the lesser costing Apex as the "MilSpec" of vices; heavy duty, well machined, etc.

Mine just arrived last week, and I start my first tying class on January 17, so I really can't give a firsthand review, although it's much heavier and heavy-duty than I really expected. After looking at vices at Bass Pro, Orvis, and a local shop, I expected a vice in the $100 to $150 range to be a bit flimsier. I was pleasantly surprised.

Got mine from Ed's Fly Shop, through Amazon.com for less than $140, including shipping.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 12-18-2011, 09:10 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I just got a Peak Vise in the mail yesterday, it's a major upgrade from my 17yr old regal knock off..... great vise for the money. I was looking at the Peak, Anvil, Danvise, and the Griffin. Out of all the reviews I dug up from the web I found the most good comments on the peak. All operations are smooth, and the fact it comes with a bobin rest is nice. The only thing I don't care for is the plastic set screw for the rotary, but a brass screw upgrade is available for a few bucks so no biggie. Also if you get the pedestal model it has a small recess in it to hold little things that like to get lost or roll around the desk.